Top Shelf Aquatics

Help with selecting a pico tank

Shifumi

im going back into the hobby after a year long break. My last pico was really nice and successful 4.6 gallon and now my friend keeps it in another country as i moved due to corona . 

Im thinking of setting up a pico tank or nano. Size 2~8 gallons .

I came across this tank and thought it was really unique looking but am not sure if 10.5cm is a workable width or should i go with a more traditional cube tank. Like 25×25cm . Or a tiny all in one 1~3 gallon tank. Honestly the long one looks really interesting with 55cm length. . The plan is to do a soft coral only tank, as thats the kind of corals my gf really likes. And iv allways though a pure soft coral tank would be easy and interesting to try. Would do you guys think?

Screenshot_20210531-231955_Chrome.jpg

11 minutes ago, Shifumi said:

not sure if 10.5cm is a workable width or should i go with a more traditional cube tank

Check out some other bookshelf tanks to see if that's what you'd like:

https://www.nano-reef.com/search/?q=bookshelf&quick=1

12 minutes ago, Shifumi said:

And iv allways though a pure soft coral tank would be easy and interesting to try.

Sure, softies are cool.  Plus, sticking with soft corals reduces the need for dosing supplements. 👍

15 minutes ago, seabass said:

Check out some other bookshelf tanks to see if that's what you'd like:

https://www.nano-reef.com/search/?q=bookshelf&quick=1

Sure, softies are cool.  Plus, sticking with soft corals reduces the need for dosing supplements. 👍

Oh i didnt see any  thats the term i was supposed to google with.  Thanks so much. Your a life saver. 

Also yes softies are underated and so relaxing to keep.  Unlike sticks. .-. No sticks for me. It was stressful 

• Like 1

So. Im going to head over to the local aquarium store. I saw they had several sizes that could fit my area aside from that tank. Tank area available is roughly  17cm by 60cm . 

Ill make a journal if a purchase is successful.  And i already have the greenlight from my gf.  Its going to be relaxing and set up by the time ill have surgery later in the year 

• Like 1

It might be too late to comment on this, but I absolutely love my waterbox cube 10. I am about to come up on my 1 year anniversary, and it continues to impress me. Just throwing that out there in case you would consider a 10 gallon option.

3 hours ago, UGA said:

It might be too late to comment on this, but I absolutely love my waterbox cube 10. I am about to come up on my 1 year anniversary, and it continues to impress me. Just throwing that out there in case you would consider a 10 gallon option.

A little late but i agree its a great option . I thought of getting a small cube initial but realised the place i was thinking of is only 17cm wide. So. Id have to be a 15cm cube. Not exactly what i was looking for at the moment. 

I went to the store and they didnt have the 55x10.5x21cm tank. I went with  a 45x17x24 ultra clear tank instead. Feels really nice to have a tank again. Now i get to plan filtration.  Flow. And light. 

20210601_133209.jpg

• Like 4