inTank Media Baskets

In-tank Protein Skimmer Suggestions

Chris's Fishes

Chris's Fishes

Hello all,

I'm currently in the market for at least two new protein skimmers. I don't run sumps, so I'd prefer them to be in-tank. I'm open to HOB skimmers, but am a bit nervous due to some previous experiences with them leaking saltwater onto my apartment's carpet. And, no, I don't want to add sumps - I understand the benefits, but don't want to deal with it until I'm in a home I own.

I'd like to get a skimmer for my 40 gallon, which just houses my Green Spotted Puffer, and my 55 gallon, which houses a Peacock Mantis Shrimp, 2 Clarkii Clowns, a Yellowtail Damsel, an Azure Damsel, and a 3-stripe Damsel. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, but I don't want to bother with something that's going to fail in 6 months, either.

I was recommended some of the Fluval Skimmers, but I was under the impression they were only made to work on Fluval AIOs - would they work on a rimmed tank? I also had the Eshopps PSK 75 recommended, but I couldn't find any in stock - are they still being produced?

Any suggestions?

Chris's Fishes
17 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Did you look into the Tunze Comline® DOC Skimmers? Don't have one, but I have found positive reviews on the net.

https://www.tunze.com/US/en/products/catalogue/categories/product-groups.html

I actually had, but quickly dismissed it because I saw a max 1/2" thickness in the product description. But, upon further reading, it seems that it uses magnets, so maybe it'll work on a rimmed tank? They seem really reasonable in every other aspect.

M. Tournesol

😬 i didn't think about your rim. You should look at the dimensions. side photos seems to imply that the skimmer was built with rim in mind

On this video mister have a rim and the skimmer.

Edited by M. Tournesol
  • Like 1
Chris's Fishes

After looking into it, it seems that this will work - the manual makes note that you have to use an included magnet extender. So that makes it a top contender.

6 minutes ago, Fisker said:

After looking into it, it seems that this will work - the manual makes note that you have to use an included magnet extender. So that makes it a top contender.

I use a 9001 on a rimmed tank (20H) without the supplied extender.

• Like 1
Chris's Fishes

Awesome! The tanks I'm using have wide rims (40B and 55) but I'd imagine it'd work just fine.

Other than that, how has your experience been with the Tunze? Happy with it? Any issues?

Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, PeterU said:

I use a 9001 on a rimmed tank (20H) without the supplied extender.

I don't use the extender either, it will fit.

22 minutes ago, Fisker said:

Awesome! The tanks I'm using have wide rims (40B and 55) but I'd imagine it'd work just fine.

Other than that, how has your experience been with the Tunze? Happy with it? Any issues?

Total rim on mine is 0.75 inches.

Only been using it for about 3 weeks but it started pulling crap out right away. When using the surface skimmer attachment, I felt it was putting a lot of microbubbles back in the tank but it still pulled a ton of crap out.

2021-05-30 15.19.14.jpg

2021-05-30 15.18.59.jpg

• Like 1
Chris's Fishes
26 minutes ago, PeterU said:

Total rim on mine is 0.75 inches.

Only been using it for about 3 weeks but it started pulling crap out right away. When using the surface skimmer attachment, I felt it was putting a lot of microbubbles back in the tank but it still pulled a ton of crap out.

2021-05-30 15.19.14.jpg

2021-05-30 15.18.59.jpg

Awesome! I've never used a Tunze product, but I know they're highly regarded. I think the 9004 may be my go-to for the 55 (the mantis is really messy, and I think I may want to add a couple more damsels), and then I'll use a 9001 for the 40. Sound do-able?

Chris's Fishes
20 minutes ago, PeterU said:

The 9001 is rated for 5.3 to 37 gallons, so it should be okay for a lightly loaded 40.

I'm not sure a GSP would be a light load - they're pretty nasty. Maybe a 9004 would be better.

Kindanewtothis
Just now, Fisker said:

The 9001 model?

Yes, it used to be in a 30 gallons, but ot seems to be doing a good job in my 50.

• Like 1
Chris's Fishes
4 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Yes, it used to be in a 30 gallons, but ot seems to be doing a good job in my 50.

Good to know! What's your 50 stocked with?

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, Fisker said:

Good to know! What's your 50 stocked with?

2 ocellaris clownfish

1 flame angelfish

1 LTA

Some mushroom

1 hammer frag

20210530_151456.jpg

• Like 2
Chris's Fishes
2 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

2 ocellaris clownfish

1 flame angelfish

1 LTA

Some mushroom

1 hammer frag

20210530_151456.jpg

Very pretty tank!

I guess the 9001 will probably be fine. If not I've got other tanks I could use it on down the road. Thanks!

• Like 1