Cultivated Reef

Aquaknight vs AI Prime-- What's the Difference, Really?

Skeeterific

Skeeterific

Hi everyone,

So I know that the basic difference is that one is more expensive and customizable, with more mounting height options depending on what you buy. But as far as coral health and growth goes (say, for a softie-heavy system with a few LPS and SPS), is there anything I would really be gaining from upgrading to an AI Prime 16 from my Hipergero Aquaknight? All the information I can find has a lot of good things to say about AI, but when it comes down to what it actually offers it sort of seems like hearsay and anecdote. I don't want to spend over $200 if it won't ultimately be worth it-- that's a lot of coral. So, will someone please settle this for me? Should I upgrade or not?

So I just happened to be looking at your tank thread a few minutes ago actually... 😅

I think you need a second light more than you need any particular type of light. The biggest concern you are facing right now with your 20L is spread - the corners of your tank are quite a bit darker than the center, and that's going to cause problems in the long term for corals that are placed along the sides. It's possible to play around this by using the sides of your tank only for corals that prefer shade, but better spread would certainly make everything look better down the line.

The AI Prime allows you do all sorts of things that the Aquaknight does not (programmable sunrise/sunset functions, moonlight, etc.) and probably offers a more favorable spectrum for coral growth because it contains a wide variety of different-colored LEDs, each of which can be controlled independently with the app. It also is just a better-made product and is less likely to randomly break after a few months/years of use. Honestly the Aquaknight would more than likely be fine for growing LPS and soft corals of pretty much any type that you want, but if you're thinking about getting a new light I would say go for it - not to replace the one you already have, but to augment it.

You could also consider a strip-style LED light such as one of the Current USA Orbit series, which are commonly used for longer tanks. This is a cheaper alternative to mounting multiple puck-style LEDs over your tank, and should still be sufficient to grow most soft corals and LPS.

• Like 1

I’m with billy goat, 1 ai prime is too small for your tanks length. They are good for about 20x20” spread when mounted pretty high. If your happy with the Aqua knight I would just add a second one.

• Like 1
Jungle_vip

AI prime is by far the more superior light. Better quality build, height options, color settings, and intensity options. I too run the aqua knight like yourself. You def need another light for a 20L to get “proper” coverage. Even the one AI isn’t going to spread across the tank. An additional AK would suit you just fine but to each their own. If you like the look of a single light and the way it lights your tank then roll with it. If I was going to spend the money for the best product then I personally would get the prime. You’ll still have shaded ends but if you like it then you won’t be disappointed in just having one prime.

Skeeterific

Thanks y'all, I went ahead and got the Prime! Spread will definitely be an issue down the road, so I'll have to do some thinking about that. Probably I'll add another one once I'm ready for more demanding corals. I have every intention of getting to that point, though, so I'd rather drop a little more money for a light I can just add a second one to later and have them match. @billygoat I love your Florida biotope!!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Skeeterific said:

Thanks y'all, I went ahead and got the Prime! Spread will definitely be an issue down the road, so I'll have to do some thinking about that. Probably I'll add another one once I'm ready for more demanding corals. I have every intention of getting to that point, though, so I'd rather drop a little more money for a light I can just add a second one to later and have them match. @billygoat I love your Florida biotope!!

Thank you! 😁

I think you made the right decision to get the Prime. That's a quality piece of equipment that will serve you well for a long time. I always think it's better to buy the best gear you can afford right off the bat, otherwise you end up spending a lot more money in the long run as you go through multiple iterations of upgrades for every piece of equipment connected to your tank... like I did. 😅

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I actually have both on my 22g lifegard (36 inches long). I've got 2 AK V2 on each side and the prime HD in the middle (I had the prime in my previous tank and already had the 2 AK). IMO the shimmer from thr AK is better (it's closer to a kessil than a prime I think). I also use the prime as a moonlight. What I dont like about the prime is that silly disco ball effect lol. Got a light diffuser and it helps. And turning down the red and green!

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/24/2021 at 6:11 AM, Melfy77 said:

What I dont like about the prime is that silly disco ball effect lol. Got a light diffuser and it helps. And turning down the red and green!

Me too.  Hate the disco ball effect. 

I was lucky enough to stop by a specialty Coral store where they had an AI Primes set up and the salesperson showed me how it all worked.  Basically any water wave movement on top causes the shimer.  If you were running a skimmer with no flow directed to waterline, the shimmer wasn't an issue. 

I went with a Viparspectra black box.  No shimmer with or without flow directed to top of water.  That's what I wanted though.  I'd rather have a more asthetic light on top of tank, all things being equal.  but All things are never equal, and I wasn't gonna drop 500 bucks on a RADION light. 

Very happy with bang for buck on Viparspectra

Unless you are growing SPS, your corals won't care whether it's a $50 light or a $200 light.  All the bells and whistles are for you and you only.  Is the AI prime worth it?  Yes if you care about the convenience, the aesthetic, and the controllability for you and if got the money for it.  But if money is tight, I would rather get 4 $50 light for the coverage than a single $200 spotlight which requires another $200 later...

But I am also the guy that got 4 radion xr30 for my next build...but that's cuz I am going SPS dominant in a big tank.

• Like 3