Pod Your Reef

Clownfish/hi fin in a 10g?

Catherine

Hello all,

im considering getting a 10 gallons tank and putting a clownfish in it. Would 10 gallons be too small? I tried researching/browsing forums but it’s sort of a mixed bag of responses. If I do get a 10 gallon would it be possible to put a hi fin goby with it as well or would it be better to do one or the other? Is there a smaller variety of clownfish that would do better in a 10g? Thanks!

Should be fine. Longterm make sure you have enough territory for each fish. I had a clownfish go rogue in the past, it was a 20gallon with minimal rock. My gobies survived her but she killed any other fish that would swim in the middle of the tank. If I had more rock to disrupt her sight line and for fish to hide I think things might have been better.

Have this stock almost exactly, 2 occy clowns with a banded hi fin and pistol pair in my 10g been running just over 5 years now and they are doing great. 

Jungle_vip

You will get many opinions on fish stocking across the board as you’ve come to see. I personally think you will be fine but would not add any more than those two fish. Overstocking typically leads to more maintenance, nuisance algae, territorial issues, frustration, and/or eventual break down of tank. Those are great options and will give you more wiggle room for the times you go a little lax on your husbandry.   

Ah, I love my clownfish in my 10g.  Nemo has been around for almost 2 years now since we started.  If she ever dies, I'll replace her with 2 small Ocellaris clownfish.  If you get a pair while they're young and take good care of them (feed them regularly), I find that there's no real issues.