Coral Vue Hydros

Large white dots everywhere

Damien84

Hey,

Wondering if anyone knows what these are. They are everywhere all over any algae in the tank and glass. They aren't spiropid worms as they move around like pods. However they are around the same size as a pod but they are more white and very very round. Pods seems to be more slender. Not sure if they are a pest or not.

Any ideas would be great. 

PXL_20210521_081646068.jpg

PXL_20210521_081539790.MP.jpg

PXL_20210521_081813192.jpg

PXL_20210521_081649493.jpg

kind of look like maybe acoel flatworms. Those are more algae eating type but are very prolific. Would need a clearer picture to get a true ID or even a microscope picture. Here is ones that I have been siphoning out of my tank. Both the same thing from a little different angle.

AFlatwom.jpg.31afb481cdd7e26f00706797e2c41d0f.jpgAFlatowrmB.jpg.371ca6b9d26e9f3f6e4fa9a34f8184e2.jpg

Thanks for the reply. They don't quite look like that though. They are round and move very quick like pods do.  Don't quite have that flatworm odd oval shape. I only have my phone to take a picture of them unfortunately. 

Also for a scale reference they are roughly the size of the pods you have on the glass in bottom left of the second picture. Just quite a bit fatter and rounder.

I have two clowns, Two cardinals,  green clown goby, bi colour blenny. 

What do you mean by fish snacks? what type of animal are they?

7 minutes ago, Damien84 said:

I have two clowns, Two cardinals,  green clown goby, bi colour blenny. 

What do you mean by fish snacks? what type of animal are they?

i would have guessed they were some sort of pod, especially if they're fast-moving, but only seeing white dots makes them impossible to identify. copepods are less long than amphipods. or maybe - rotifers of some type?

i said fish snacks because my fish won't let anything float around uneaten except pineapple sponges that get loose.

Oh ahaha yeah. I can't say I've seen anyone eating them but who knows. I've got a new pic. The red circle is one of them next to what I would call a normal pod. Blue are other normal pods and green are these big round things. 

PXL_20210522_030317993.MP~2.jpg

now that i think of it i haven't seen Asteria stars around in a while. wonder if a crab or shrimp has been snacking on them too.

😛 I defo do not have those sort of tool available to me! I did consider they may just be another type of POD but I wasn't sure and thought someone might have seen something like this before on here. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...