Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help me choose an ATO

Dave MN Nano

Dave MN Nano

Hi. I am new to reefing. I have a 20 gallon long tank with fish, softies and LPS. Everything’s going pretty good. How can I go on vacation? I need an ATO. It is 0 problem for me to add water manually most days and will only use the ATO while on vacation. What should I get? 

There are quite a few to chose from.  Some work on float switches, other with more sophisticated, optical sensors.  

I had the XP Aqua Duetto and ended up re-selling it as it kept over filling.  The manufacturer has later said it cannot be in presence of direct light or microbubbles.  It is a very popular model with many folks, so I guess they have it in their sump.  

I am going back to my very old school float switch setup.   There is a guy out of Austin, Texas that makes great ones.  Not very fancy, but much more reliable.  autotopoff.com.  

I just ordered a Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO this morning for my 20H. Guess I'll find out in a week or so if it's any good.

I watched all the YouTube videos I could find. The only one that had issues obviously didn't read the manual (which I found online and read already).

You should pick an ATO based on your needs and your tank setup. Not all of them are good at everything and all of them have tradeoffs.

If it's going directly in your display tank, you probably want something that's really tiny and switches on/off with slight fluctuations in water level - so probably optical. However, this means way more maintenance in keeping it clean.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, if it's being hidden in a sump and zero maintenance is your thing - a pressure tube may be the ticket. But, they aren't precise at all, so not so good in a DT.

Something in between the two? A Tunze Osmolator would do the trick. Compromise on those is the proprietary pump and the big price tag.

FM's Round 2 Reef

AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite in my 15g and it has been great so far. Sensor has a small footprint and so does the pump so it's easily put into smaller diameter containers (I have a beer stein serving as my RO reservoir). Sensitivity has been great and no issues yet. I have an AIO tank so the return pump chamber is small and this is a breeze to get into there.

10 hours ago, Dave MN Nano said:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-sensor-nano-auto-top-off-jbj.html

that one looks good. So does this one. Anybody ever try it??

This is the same on I have in my pico tank. Has been working great. pump is extremely small and it is silent when it come on. That is the pump and sensor. I do clean the sensor weekly for salt creep and I use a 3g water jug to keep RODI water in. I have seen some use cereal containers if space it tight.

9F3A6077-9D70-442B-B5DB-37E2E92689E6.thumb.jpeg.11b95295263d43eca2abb28cacfd5bde.jpeg