Pod Your Reef

Tank cycle

mpugh

Hello,

I am currently cycling my upgrade tank and it has been going for about 9 days now, tested the water a few hours ago and the readings are:

SG 1.026

Ammonia - 0.5ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 50ppm

KH - 7dKH

It has a peice of live rock from my other tank in there along with 2/3 of a box of pure reef bio balls and have been dosing Dr Tim’s ammonium chloride. I does the ammonium according to package instructions to 2ppm yesterday evening and it is down to 0.5ppm today.

So my question is this, do you think I could transfer my inhabitants from my old tank to new this weekend, obviously I will test the water and do a water change. They will be going from and evo 13.5 to an Aqua one mine reef 180. I have one clown, 1 algae blenny, 4 hermits, 4 snails, a hammer, a torch (was one piece, now it’s 4) and a small zoa colony in a frag plug.

long post, but appreciate the input 👍🏻

Thrassian Atoll

When the ammonia hits zero, add 1ppm of it and make sure it goes to 0 in 24 hours.  After that you should be good to go.  Definitely do a large water change to get those nitrates down.  

• Like 2

I'd put the live rock back in the old tank, and wait for ammonia to reach 0.25 ppm in the new tank; then (like Thrassian Atoll stated):

• Dose ammonia up to 2 ppm again
  • Wait for ammonia to reach 0.25 ppm
  • Repeat until your tank can process 2 ppm of ammonia down to 0.25 ppm within 24 hours

Then put the live rock back in (the more the better).  But you don't want to subject the non-bacterial life on your live rock to ammonia.  Then you can transfer the rest of your livestock over.