Pod Your Reef

Ok everyone I have been looking to replace my MJ1200 return pump for a silent one. 

We recently moved to a new studio apartment and noise has become an issue with it.

I was looking around and there isn’t that much information as to what pumps fit comfortably and silently into the return chamber of this tank.

the MJ1200 is , of course, discontinued, but the dimensions according to BRS are Dimensions - 6" x 3" x 2"

it has been running for two years but we had a larger house before where the tank sat in a different room to where we sleep ...now here we are.

the IM Mighty Jet (326gph) seems like an obvious choice, but it is $109. Not a problem but you do have to take a step back before you just dish out a hundred bux. I haven’t been able to find anyone using this pump in this tank, except for one snippet of a video on YouTube (scroll to 0:46) that shows it put into the tank, but only for a second and the pump looks like it doesn’t really fit except for an awkward placement where it is touching all the walls of the chamber.... doubt that will be very silent. But who knows...? 

The sicce silent line is pretty convincing but there are many mixed reviews out there. Some say it isn’t silent, others say the opposite.

at this point, it isn’t the cost that is the issue, it’s  the silence that I desperately seek.

The tank has a Vortech mp10, so all I really need is to push water back into the tank, I would guesstimate ~200gph should do the trick...

If you want absolute silence and control ability go with the mightyjet. 

I had the 538gph version on my nuvo 40 cranked to 100% and never heard it on. 

Solid pump for sure. Ran mine for over a year and half before I upgraded tanks. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, anizato said:

Ok everyone I have been looking to replace my MJ1200 return pump for a silent one. 

We recently moved to a new studio apartment and noise has become an issue with it.

I was looking around and there isn’t that much information as to what pumps fit comfortably and silently into the return chamber of this tank.

the MJ1200 is , of course, discontinued, but the dimensions according to BRS are Dimensions - 6" x 3" x 2"

it has been running for two years but we had a larger house before where the tank sat in a different room to where we sleep ...now here we are.

the IM Mighty Jet (326gph) seems like an obvious choice, but it is $109. Not a problem but you do have to take a step back before you just dish out a hundred bux. I haven’t been able to find anyone using this pump in this tank, except for one snippet of a video on YouTube (scroll to 0:46) that shows it put into the tank, but only for a second and the pump looks like it doesn’t really fit except for an awkward placement where it is touching all the walls of the chamber.... doubt that will be very silent. But who knows...? 

The sicce silent line is pretty convincing but there are many mixed reviews out there. Some say it isn’t silent, others say the opposite.

at this point, it isn’t the cost that is the issue, it’s  the silence that I desperately seek.

The tank has a Vortech mp10, so all I really need is to push water back into the tank, I would guesstimate ~200gph should do the trick...

I used a mighty jet in mine. Awesome pump and its $$$ because its controllable and has the ability to do wave or regular.

Only time i heard it was when i was directly in front of tank and the room was absolutely silent.

Another option is sicce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I used a mighty jet in mine. Awesome pump and its $$$ because its controllable and has the ability to do wave or regular.

Only time i heard it was when i was directly in front of tank and the room was absolutely silent.

Another option is sicce.

So you think the noise from the MP10 is louder than the MightyJet? 

I have 2 mighty jets one on each of my 20s they are both slightly noisy on wave mode have a slight intermittent hum when it ramps up. My mp10 was definatly louder. Dead silent on normal mode. Adjustability is nice. The penensula back section Is the same as the 10g. The detachable part of the front casing on the one they sent with the penensula is diffrent from the one sent for the standard 20 but it's the same pump. The intake is shorter actualy thinking could be even shorter because it's almost pressed against the wall of the chamber maby 1/4th an inch clearance if that. The one for the penensula will fit a 10 but not the one for the standard 20...u could allways saw it off. I only realized there was a difrence when I was cleaning them and tried to put the wrong one in the penensula and was very confused untill I realized why it didnt fit.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

I'd second what others have said - the MIghty Jet is dead silent on normal mode. You do hear it slightly on pulse mode. I use RFG nozzles though, so I never run it on pulse mode. Our IM 20 Peninsula has the same back chamber as the IM 10, and it fits just fine, albeit a slightly tight fit for my large hands to get placed (thank goodness for the tank keepers little hands!).

Now, if you don't mind the name, DAI BAO is the exact same pump, with different colored plastic and a slightly different controller, that can be had on amazon for $30 cheaper. I put one in my pico and it's been rock solid, and ultra quiet. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JPLFK2G/ref=twister_B08HSBRPT2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

So check it out guys..

i was shopping around for the pumps, for some reason neither of them seemed to convince me enough. The might jets price point is unfriendly and the controllability is an overkill. The sycce silent line seemed the option... but then I stumbled upon the Syncra Nano pump. It is only $25, with a 5 year warranty. Also, BRS has a return policy.. as long as I use it in RODI to test it out and then if I decide to return it, I just have to dry it out. I will keep you all updated on this situation.

I use a Sicce Syncra .5 on my IM 10. I can't hear it running at all but apparently these are hit/miss. Sicce has awesome customer service if you happen to get a noisy one. 

• Wow 1