SaltCritters.com

How did you justify upgrading your tank to a bigger one?

Drunkentrader

Drunkentrader

My 12G long tank is about a year old and although i really like/prefer the profile of this little tank, I think I'd like a little more room and have been consider the bigger brother 22G long tank from Mr Aqua since my 36" lighting, sump, canopy, and stand are all a direct fit. Things like alllllways accidentally knocking shit over, wanting to stock more fish(already at the responsible limit with two clowns, one YWMG, one tail spot blenny, and one panamic barnacle blenny,) and not even sure the 22G gives a toooo much additional footprint room, but would be nice to have add some visual depth and scape front to back.

Adding an extra 10 gallons from a 12G is a pretty measurable increase, but would it justify the hassle and risk of turning your tank's world upside down for half a day? Honestly, if my bedroom wasnt carpeted id probably be more inclined to get an entire new setup, 40-60 gallons, and move the 12G to my room. So maybe that answers my question regarding benefits analysis... 

current tank. about 80% happy with where its at.. definitely a few things I'd do different if i had to do it all over again.. this is like my 4th nano tank, and the only one I custom built and actually half-methodically planned out. The next build is gonna be planned out A-Z... and that's not something that can be done if i were to swap everything in to a 22G replacement tank.

12g reef tank.jpg

Nice little tank.  Without having to change out the lights and everything, the 22 gallon tank might be a nice upgrade.  Personally I wouldn't add any more fish, but that's just me.

Sounds like you really want to go even bigger (40 to 60 gallons).  Maybe plan and save for that.  If you upgrade to the 22 gallon tank, would you have room to move that tank to your room?

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, seabass said:

Nice little tank.  Without having to change out the lights and everything, the 22 gallon tank might be a nice upgrade.  Personally I wouldn't add any more fish, but that's just me.

Sounds like you really want to go even bigger (40 to 60 gallons).  Maybe plan and save for that.  If you upgrade to the 22 gallon tank, would you have room to move that tank to your room?

Agree with seabass.  Your tank is currently overstocked as it is, so rather than adding more fish an upgrade would give your current inhabitants room for growth and more swim space.

• Like 3

I think you do want to decide with certainty what it is you want in terms of a long term goal.  Is it a somewhat bigger tank (12 up to 22 is a large percentage increase, but still basically a nano-ish size and won't take up that much more space, require more maintenance, etc.) or do you want a much larger tank?  Or maybe you want both!  

Nothing wrong with upgrading in stages, but you will end up buying more stuff.  I have found the used/buyer's market here on NR (and other places like Facebook marketplace, etc.) is really strong so is easy to off load equipment quickly and off set some expenses.  But you will end up spending more and the hassle or changing tanks is not insignificant.  

I have found though, the decision making, equipment shopping and the tank upgrade is so much of the fun part of the hobby.  

I myself am thinking about moving to an AIO, from my hang on back setup.  Love my tank size, but for variety of reasons want to go in the AIO direction.  

Good luck!

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef
4 hours ago, seabass said:

This.,..

Save time and backache by saving for a big one.. I had 3 tanks from 7 to 15 to 90 g.  

Wish I just accepted the fact that I wanted more and bigger fish that I could ever get away with in a nano 

• Like 5

1. Check your back account, if good buy a big tank. 

2. If bank account is no good, revert back to 1.

I'm just messing. 🤣

But for real go bigger if you really want to go bigger. The 22g will seem bigger at first but then you'll be kicking yourself for not wanting more room etc. 

But if you're like me and like nano tanks the 22g would be perfect! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • 1 month later...
On 5/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, Murphych said:

This.,..

Save time and backache by saving for a big one.. I had 3 tanks from 7 to 15 to 90 g.  

Wish I just accepted the fact that I wanted more and bigger fish that I could ever get away with in a nano 

Yep.I'm in the process of upgrading from a 29 to a 56.  There aren't even any fish in it yet and I'm wishing I had gone with the 103 peninsula!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Murphych I agree, when I was looking into some thing bigger I started looking at 75g first then I remember hearing every one always saying you’ll want to go bigger again so I just went straight to 100g which is the biggest I can comfortably handle. I wish I could have gone bigger(6ft long) for reasons but there is a lot of reasons to not go huge too.

• Like 1