LifesaFish

Fluval 13.5 - BTA and Clowns

LifesaFish

Hi All,

Super new to reefing community and just purchased a Fluval 13.5, heater, and the protein skimmer. 

In the process of working out my rock scape (using dry rock and live sand) and thinking about stocking ideas once everything is properly cycled.

I have gone back and forth on stocking ideas but I am currently wanting to have: 

2 clownfish 

1 fighting conch

1 or 2 cowrie snails

1 BTA

I keep on reading conflicting information on BTA in nano tanks. Are they going to get to big, too fast for my size of tank? Also, should I upgrade the stock light?

I have been wanting a saltwater reef tank for over 30 years and finally decided to take the plunge. I am very happy to be super patient and wait until the tank properly matures to add the bta. If you all think it is a bad idea, there are plenty of corals I like and can save the bta until I upgrade to a bigger tank.

Any help is appreciated.

Matteo

Btas are fine in nano tanks. Its when you have nano tanks with btas and coral things can get dicey.

LifesaFish

Thanks Matteo!

• Like 1

DevilDuck

Depending on the size of your nem, it will work for a while depending on how often you feed it and how often it splits. 

There is no guarantee that the nem will host your clowns. Mines do not, they rather hang by filter return.

LifesaFish
11 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

Depending on the size of your nem, it will work for a while depending on how often you feed it and how often it splits. 

There is no guarantee that the nem will host your clowns. Mines do not, they rather hang by filter return.

Thanks DevilDuck - yes I know there are not any guarantees. That's part of the hesitation/flip flopping.

Could be a lot of work, and won't get the results I would be hoping to get.

I was just more curious to know from hobbyists if they felt it was realistic. 

My LFS seems to cater to people with larger tanks, and told me it could not be done with anything less than 30 gallons. (A small BTA would outgrow the tank in less than a year, or I would kill it do to lack of experience.) Internet is also full of idiots with all sorts of bad ideas.

What about lighting? Would I need to upgrade or will the stock light do the job. Any recommendations power heads and how to cover the overflow so it doesn't get caught?

PeterU
1 hour ago, LifesaFish said:

Internet is also full of idiots with all sorts of bad ideas.

I read it on the Internet so it must be true. 😄

Murphych

You should be fine if is a small BTA but when it gets bigger it's going to want more space. It's possible but probably impractical. 

Clown79

You can do it but know that bta's can get big and how fast that happens, it all depends.

I had 2 in a 10g and within a year upgraded to a 20g.

They grew very quickly and popped babies at least 4-5 times

I actually chose to remove them because they were getting too big and my clown never hosted the nems, he preferred xenia and duncans. 

LifesaFish
6 hours ago, PeterU said:

I read it on the Internet so it must be true. 😄

😄🤔

LifesaFish

Thank you Murphch & Clown79. (Everyone else too.)

I think I will hold off for now and have fun learning and collecting corals. 

• Like 1

rough eye

i never considered either of those snails for my 13.5 because i considered it too small. can a cowrie or conch actually be kept in that small a tank?

LifesaFish
On 5/17/2021 at 11:03 AM, rough eye said:

i never considered either of those snails for my 13.5 because i considered it too small. can a cowrie or conch actually be kept in that small a tank?

My understanding is that they can. The conch may have to be moved to a bigger tank eventually but it should be OK for 2ish or so years. (And I am pretty sure I will be upgrading within that time as house renos should  be complete).

However, if any one with more experience knows better please chime in.

• Like 1

DevilDuck

I have a Tiger conch on my Fluval Evo, it's actually my favorite invert in the tank. It can work if you have minimal rocks and open sand. I supplement my conch once a week or so with some nori.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1