Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Adding Live Sand to Cycled Dry Rock

FM's Round 2 Reef

FM's Round 2 Reef

I won't be getting my display tank for probably over a month (backordered) but I wanted to get my dry rock into an old 20g long that I have so that I can get it seeded and cycled while I wait. My only question is regarding when I finally get the display setup.  I'm planning to use CaribSea special grade arag-alive and don't want to throw that in the temporary tank with the live rock to avoid the fuss of moving sand in and out of the tank again so I was going to wait and add it to the DT once I have it and the rock is cycled. 

Assuming that will cause for a short mini-cycle after I get things running in their final resting place. Any tips on how to avoid major issues while going this route? Or even suggest that I do otherwise?

Advice is always appreciated! No wrong answers!

Don't bother getting live sand. Most believe it really has little benefit.

Cycle your rocks in the 20 long

Wash all sand thoroughly with tap water until the water runs mostly clear.

Last rinse with rodi and some seachem prime

Set up the new tank and all should be fine

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Don't bother getting live sand. Most believe it really has little benefit.

Cycle your rocks in the 20 long

Wash all sand thoroughly with tap water until the water runs mostly clear.

Last rinse with rodi and some seachem prime

Set up the new tank and all should be fine

Totally this. Also, one other tip when adding new sand (whether it's a new tank or already running tank) is to either run filter socks or add in a bunch of extra floss to catch the fines. Thoroughly rinsing will remove most of it, but not anywhere close to all of it and the tank will be pretty cloudy for a few days. If you don't use socks or floss to catch the fines, they will settle in your sump, back chambers, or HOB filter and be a pain to remove.

Also, don't worry if the sand is blowing around for a few weeks after you add it - it'll take a few weeks for a biofilm to grow on your sand grains, which will help your sand stay in place better.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jservedio said:

Totally this. Also, one other tip when adding new sand (whether it's a new tank or already running tank) is to either run filter socks or add in a bunch of extra floss to catch the fines. Thoroughly rinsing will remove most of it, but not anywhere close to all of it and the tank will be pretty cloudy for a few days. If you don't use socks or floss to catch the fines, they will settle in your sump, back chambers, or HOB filter and be a pain to remove.

Also, don't worry if the sand is blowing around for a few weeks after you add it - it'll take a few weeks for a biofilm to grow on your sand grains, which will help your sand stay in place better.

Definitely.

I find with new sand, i had to change filter floss 3- 4 times for the first 2 weeks but it was worth it since it cleared things up so quickly.

FM's Round 2 Reef
3 hours ago, jservedio said:

I appreciate the suggestions! I was going to run a couple layers of floss in a filter cup so that I can just pull them and replace with new ones every day or two since they're so cheap. I was even considering running some bio balls in the spare tank while the rock is cycling and then throwing it in an empty chamber in my DT when it's up and running to catch any excess sediment and help with the cloudiness and then just pull them out and trash them after things clear up. Don't plan to use them long term but assuming since I already have some it couldn't hurt just to get things started.