inTank Media Baskets

Hermit crab

cockatoo fish man thing

cockatoo fish man thing

Hi. I just got a order form Saltwaterfish.com and i got a ywg who is already happy and found a hole:) and an anemone who was dead on arrival:( and i got a hermit crab who is happy and crawling around doing hermit crab stuff. Hes about 1 1/2" long. I have no idea what to feed him. I'm assuming he'll just clean up after the other fish and eat algae. is this correct?

Critteraholic

Yes, as long as there is enough food in the tank to keep all your clean-up crew fed.  Otherwise there will be deaths from starvation. You can feed your hermit crab if needed. And make sure you have extra shells for him to change into or he'll start killing any snails you have for their shells.

What kind of hermie did you get?

cockatoo fish man thing

1 hour ago, Critteraholic said:

Yes, as long as there is enough food in the tank to keep all your clean-up crew fed.  Otherwise there will be deaths from starvation. You can feed your hermit crab if needed. And make sure you have extra shells for him to change into or he'll start killing any snails you have for their shells.

What kind of hermie did you get?

yes but hes the only invert i have rn. hes a Orange Leg Hermit. 

Critteraholic

Oooo, pretty hermit crab!  They're omnivores so it'll do well in with the fish.  You will still need extra shells bigger than the one he's in so he can change up as he grows.  This crab can grow to be two inches.  He's already big enough to start knocking over rocks and corals. Hope you've got everything nailed down! 😁

Enjoy your hermie!  I love to sit and watch them doing their thing.

cockatoo fish man thing
2 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

Oooo, pretty hermit crab!  They're omnivores so it'll do well in with the fish.  You will still need extra shells bigger than the one he's in so he can change up as he grows.  This crab can grow to be two inches.  He's already big enough to start knocking over rocks and corals. Hope you've got everything nailed down! 😁

Enjoy your hermie!  I love to sit and watch them doing their thing.

Lol yeah i've had him for like 6 hours and he found s a hole and is chilling in it he likes to crawls around upside down in it. I dont have any corals yet but I'm gonna get a new anemone hopefully the anemone doesnt eat my hermit xD

Critteraholic
25 minutes ago, cockatoo fish man thing said:

...hopefully the anemone doesn't eat my hermit xD

Yikes!  Here's hoping your hermit has better sense than to get near your anemone! 😶

cockatoo fish man thing
13 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

10 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

Yikes!  Here's hoping your hermit has better sense than to get near your anemone! 😶

lol thanks

Kindanewtothis
On 5/14/2021 at 1:03 AM, cockatoo fish man thing said:

hopefully the anemone doesnt eat my hermit xD

My snails go near my anemone but my hermit crabs never approche it