inTank Media Baskets

BrillReef's 8gal Minimalistic Zero-Reef

BrillReef

This project has been in the works for about a year now, and I'm hoping that posting it here will give me motivation to hurry up and finish it!

I designed this tank with the goal of no visible equipment in the display  - no overflows, no powerheads, no cables, no nothing. I considered a lot of approaches (canister filter, "zero edge" type overflows, etc), and of course, they all have their disadvantages. I eventually settled on this design - a closed-loop external pump where the water is directed through a sort of filter box/platform. 

Tank - Rimless 8gal acrylic (1/2in walls)

Pump - Iwaki MD20RT

Filter - Black acrylic serving tray modified with compartments for live rock rubble and filter pads. All corals set on a acrylic lid that can be lifted and removed when changing the filter pads

Heater - DIY inline heater is in the works. Plan is run a long length of tubing from the pump outlet, and coil it in a RODI-filled bucket at the bottom of the stand. I'll place a heater in the bucket, which will act as a sort of reverse-radiator. 

Controller - Inkbird temperature controller, with custom inline temperature probes 

Light - AI Prime HD 

I incorporated a ball valve drain for easy water changes. I'm thinking I'll be doing 3gal water changes weekly. 

Plan for Livestock: 

No visible rock (rock rubble will be hidden in the platform). 

GSP covering the top of the platform lid

a few SPS frags elevated on little pedestals to keep them at a safe distance from the GSP

Green clown goby 

Sexy Shrimp 

20210509015425_IMG_1906.JPG

20210509015406_IMG_1905.JPG

20210509015247_IMG_1903.JPG

• Like 3
SaltyGallon

"Reverse radiator" - I like it!

Following along, this looks super interesting. How are you thinking of mounting the prime? 🙂

awakedॢ

it looks great! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

hmmm,,,but a cleaning issue of tank wall,,,cuz acrylic,,,🤔

• Thanks 1
On 5/13/2021 at 2:54 AM, SaltyGallon said:

"Reverse radiator" - I like it!

Following along, this looks super interesting. How are you thinking of mounting the prime? 🙂

I hope it works! It will probably add a lot of restriction, but hopefully the overpowered iwaki pump can handle it. 

I was going to do a DIY mount for the prime, but now I'm thinking I'll just buy the pendant hanging kit, and make a little wooden fixture to hold the cable and hide the cord against the wall. 

For a while, I was thinking about making a custom spotlight lens, so i could mount the light all the way up on the ceiling. Maybe some day... 

• Like 1