Coral Vue Hydros

100gallon stocking??

BloodBath

10 hours ago, BloodBath said:

I got a 60x18x20 tank that is currently cycling and wanted to get a stocking list together...  fish

That's a long tank, you could probably keep a tang with a minimum tank size of up to 120 gallons.  If you are running a sump with a good protein skimmer, you might be able to stock a little heavier than without a sump.

inverts

There shouldn't be many restrictions here.  Although it still wouldn't be large enough for sand sifting creatures like starfish and horseshoe crabs.  If you plan to keep clownfish, you might choose to stock a host anemone.

corals

This might depend on what type of tank you wish to keep, your plan to dose elements, as well as your tank's lighting and flow.  Stony corals will eventually require dosing alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.  SPS corals require stronger flow and more intense lighting than other types of corals.

12 hours ago, BloodBath said:

I got a 60x18x20 tank that is currently cycling and wanted to get a stocking list together...  fish/inverts/corals

Are you looking for suggestions? What is your experience with reefs? Are there any must have fish? It would help us help you with some more specifics. There is a lot you can do with 100g. 

Yes suggestions plz..this will be my first reef tank... I do have a 30 gallon sump with skimmer.. I would like a foxface rabbitfish but it seems there not completely reef safe and and grow a lil too big for my tank.. I would like a mixed reef but might start with soft corals and go from there..

"A 125 gallon or larger aquarium is necessary to provide plenty of swimming room. Keep only one Powder Brown Tang per tank. Use caution when housing with other Tangs or Surgeonfish. Similar shaped Tangs can be very aggressive towards each other." - https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/367/powder-brown-tang

IMO, 100 gallons might be a little small for multiple tangs.  I might stick to a One Spot Foxface and a small tang.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, BloodBath said:

Is it possible to get multiple tangs?? Can I mix a yellow tang with a powder brown tang? 

Powder browns can be pretty mean and prone to disease. I would add it last but it may be difficult to keep if you don't QT and treat your fish. I would not say it is a beginner fish. 

Hawaii is closed but you can still buy captive bred yellow tangs for $150 from biota. For multiple tangs I would suggest the Yellow like you want but do a bristletooth for the second like a Square Tail Tang or Tomini Tang. Buy them small since the yellow will also be very tiny. These bristletooth tangs are great algae eaters too. Be sure to feed your tangs nori every day.

One Spot or Yellow Foxface is okay but they sometimes eat zoa's. So it depends how much you like certain corals. It also needs nori.

Wrasses would be good to have, things like yellow coris, melanurus, or a leopard wrasse. ONLY buy a leopard if it eating at LFS and appears healthy, they a bit more difficult due to poor shippers so you absolutely need to get a healthy specimen that is eating. Have them feed it in front of you, do not take their word, If it looks skinny or has a pinched head, do not buy. The coris and melanurus are easier. Any of these fish will eat pods and pests. They all need a sand bed. You can add multiple wrasse if you are careful on what you pick. 

Dwarf angels can be pickers but things like Coral Beauty's and pygmy angels are safer followed by flame angels, otherwise genicanthus angels are reef safe. Lamarck's, watanabei, bellus, ect. 

A reef safe butterflyfish is a pyramid butterfly.

Tangs need to go in last after the angels, butterflies, and foxface due to tangs sometimes attacking them for being a similar shape. Sometimes tangs will attack algae eating blennies since they see them as a competitor but this is hit/miss.  

Filler fish are things like royal gramma, springer damsels, neon gobies, midas or starry blennies.  Hawkfish can also be a fun addition. 

While chromis are popular for large tanks, they are prone to uronema and fighting. Personally I would skip these. 

I am not saying you can add ALL these fish but these are some ideas. In my 80, my large fish are a copperband butterfly (difficult) and yellow tang. I then have various wrasses and a few small fish. In a 100g, I would probably do max 3 'bigger sized fish' then fill in with smaller ones. So say two tangs and a dwarf angel or a Tang + foxface + angel or such. 

Stay away from things like sailfin tangs and naso's etc... they get very large and need 200-300g. 

• Like 1