Top Shelf Aquatics

Growing GSP on Bleached SPS Colony Skeleton?

FM's Round 2 Reef

FM's Round 2 Reef

I was wondering if anyone has tried allowing Green Star Polyps to encrust over a dead SPS colony skeleton? Trying to find some pictures as I'm considering this as an option for a cool feature in a nano. Thought it might look pretty cool or potentially even mimic the look of a Milli to some extent. Thoughts? Examples?

I've never done it with GSP, but I've done it with zoas that have grown over dead SPS skeleton and plenty of instances of SPS that's grown over other SPS skeleton. It'll sort of work, but unless it's a super open branch structure with little to no shading, it isn't going to exactly follow the skeleton.

If it is more tightly branched like most SPS, the mat will just connect between branches and you'll be left with a lumpy ball of GSP. It'd probably work pretty well over a thicker branched stag type acro like a green slimer or something. You'd probably want to do some pruning to make sure none of the branches were close enough together to be bridged.

• Like 1
FM's Round 2 Reef
46 minutes ago, jservedio said:

I've never done it with GSP, but I've done it with zoas that have grown over dead SPS skeleton and plenty of instances of SPS that's grown over other SPS skeleton. It'll sort of work, but unless it's a super open branch structure with little to no shading, it isn't going to exactly follow the skeleton.

If it is more tightly branched like most SPS, the mat will just connect between branches and you'll be left with a lumpy ball of GSP. It'd probably work pretty well over a thicker branched stag type acro like a green slimer or something. You'd probably want to do some pruning to make sure none of the branches were close enough together to be bridged.

That makes a ton of sense, good call! I was thinking I can make sure that it's pointed straight upwards from the center to avoid a ton of shadowing and find something with a wider gap between branches like some of the less dense bird's nests.

42 minutes ago, FM's Round 2 Reef said:

That makes a ton of sense, good call! I was thinking I can make sure that it's pointed straight upwards from the center to avoid a ton of shadowing and find something with a wider gap between branches like some of the less dense bird's nests.

Birdsnest probably isn't the best choice - a thicker branching staghorn will work much better. Have you considered just getting branching GSP?

FM's Round 2 Reef
3 hours ago, jservedio said:

Birdsnest probably isn't the best choice - a thicker branching staghorn will work much better. Have you considered just getting branching GSP?

Sounds like I should have known that branching GSP existed! Thanks for the much appreciated input!