SaltCritters.com

How to snail-proof the float switch

fishkeepersaltnfresh

fishkeepersaltnfresh

So, this morning I found water all over the floor. Initially, I thought that my tank had leaked. But then found out that the water was overflowing because of the top-off system. Thought that the float switch was broken.

But on closer inspection, I found out that the float switch was caught in "ON" position because 2 snails were resting on it.

How do I snail-proof my float switch? I hope my corals don't react very badly to this dip in salinity. I am going to try to make up for the salinity over the course of this week. 

20210512_070751.jpg

You can make one out of PVC fittings or even a pill bottle.

image.jpeg.ddddf63af50395199c8617b3720daaed.jpegImage result for ato snail guard  Image result for ato snail guard  Image result for pill bottle snail guard
There needs to be holes to allow the water to flow through the snail guard, but prevent snails from getting in.

You should really have a backup which cuts off your pump if the level goes higher than your first switch.  Often it's a different technology like optical or pressure, but even another float switch will provide some protection/redundancy.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1