ReefCleaners.org

Lighting upgrade for JBJ Cubey 3 gallon?

Criley

Can anyone give me suggestions for lighting upgrades for the JBJ Cubey 3 gallon. This is my work desk tank so I want to keep the hood on it. Please help!

I'm not sure that you have a lot of options.

img_0485-001.jpg

I'd be tempted to use the tank as is.

I assume you are looking for higher intensity.  It looks like there might even be enough room for a second set of identical lights.  But without a fan, that might be a problem (although you could probably add a fan).

Also, replacing some of the white and red LEDs (with blue) might be considered an upgrade.

img_0493-001.jpg

But I'm not sure if that DIY is within your skill set or not.

Otherwise, you might think about replacing the lighting with strip lights of some sort.  Or maybe better yet, adding a couple of strip lights.  Sorry, not exactly sure what's available in that size.

I can make you a light,I have plenty of spare leds,a heatsink all you would need to do if toss me a few bucks to get you a couple of small drivers (350mah from LEDsupply). It would be just on and off,or dimmable. DM me if you are interested. 

I will even fix it (if you send it to me) if something were to go wrong,and I'll ship it back. 

I could make it:

1 nw

2 rb

1 hyper violet. 

8 hours ago, Jaren45 said:

kessil a80 doesn't have a fan and is slim, maybe it could bend to fit with a gooseneck?

The Kessil comes with a canopy mounting kit, but I would need to cut out parts of the top of the lid so the control knobs could be accessed. I guess I could still consider that.

7 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm not sure that you have a lot of options.

img_0485-001.jpg

I'd be tempted to use the tank as is.

I assume you are looking for higher intensity.  It looks like there might even be enough room for a second set of identical lights.  But without a fan, that might be a problem (although you could probably add a fan).

Also, replacing some of the white and red LEDs (with blue) might be considered an upgrade.

img_0493-001.jpg

But I'm not sure if that DIY is within your skill set or not.

Otherwise, you might think about replacing the lighting with strip lights of some sort.  Or maybe better yet, adding a couple of strip lights.  Sorry, not exactly sure what's available in that size.

Are those pictures stock lighting?

34 minutes ago, seabass said:

I believe so.  I've never seen one in person.

Do you think the LEDs just pop out and can have blue/purple put back in? Or would additional things need to be added to work?

1 minute ago, seabass said:

I'm guessing you might have to desolder the old ones and solder in the new ones.

Gotcha. Might be beyond my wheelhouse. 

• 1 month later...