inTank Media Baskets

Suggestions for a water monitor?

Jaren45

Looking for something that's purely for pH and temp, that isn't an $800 apex. Any good options that you know of? Was looking into the milwaukee instruments dl125 but quickly saw it was discontinued.

Unless you are automatically dosing Kalkwasser or running a calcium reactor, constant monitoring of pH isn't really necessary.  Plus, you have to keep calibrating pH probes or they become inaccurate.

I'd just get a temperature controller, which will monitor temperature and prevent stuck on heaters from killing your reef tank: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Freshwater-Ornamental/dp/B07R195CQF/

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Unless you are automatically dosing Kalkwasser or running a calcium reactor, constant monitoring of pH isn't really necessary.  Plus, you have to keep calibrating pH probes or they become inaccurate.

I'd just get a temperature controller, which will monitor temperature and prevent stuck on heaters from killing your reef tank: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Freshwater-Ornamental/dp/B07R195CQF/

Already running one of those, and yes it would be for kalk. Any decent products you know of?

Not really.  I'd probably just manually test until you dial in your Kalk reactor.  I don't see the need for variable dosing via a controller.  But like you said, there are options like an Apex controller; they are just expensive.

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

What coral do you have? I think automation at that level is understandable for a 1000 litre + stuffed with SPS but a nano it's just not worth it. You are just as well manual testing? dKH, mag n Ca are the big lads to watch... 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Murphych said:

What coral do you have? I think automation at that level is understandable for a 1000 litre + stuffed with SPS but a nano it's just not worth it. You are just as well manual testing? dKH, mag n Ca are the big lads to watch... 

It's a mixed reef 40b + 20L sump, getting up there in 2 part so I wanted to try kalk out for the first time since I've only heard great things. Guess i'll just stick to weekly salifert tests and take it slow