Innovative Marine Aquariums

Brown type of algae in my aquarium

F3NIX

Ph is about 8.0 before lights turn on and my ph is around 8.2 when on towards the end of cycle. Is that because of alkalinity? Is that too much of a change ? Two more days and I get my supplements, hopefully that will balance everything out.

I received my Hanna phosphate checker and i tested my water and got a 0 reading. So definitely both zero. But the algae I had on the sand is not growing really. Atleast not on the right side. Might be getting pushed back. I’m still gonna dose nitrate and phosphate and that should end it all. Gsp is still opening a little. My tds meter should be here today but besides that I’m gonna have to update when I start dosing the stuff.

Update: the gsp is doing better and open mostly. He had algae on him but didn’t notice cuz it was just a lighter shade of purple. I brushed it off with a soft brush and now he’s opening up mostly all the way. I finally got my tds meter and tested my Rodi water and it’s 0 tds. Algae on sand is still kinda there. On the left side only mostly. Supplements come tomorrow so we’ll see what happens. 

Update: I want to thank everyone for all their answers and knowledge! I started dosing nitrate and phosphate and let the tank get dirty and now all my corals bounced back and look great! Even my anemone. Everything looks good! Tank is balanced now. Good thing I didn’t break down my tank😅

• Like 2

Tada! 

I should mention, you may see a surge in algae, now that there's more nutrients. That's perfectly fine, and a good sign. The ugly phase is likely to take off in full force now that you have more nutrients for everything to use, and you should let it. It'll settle back down on its own once the rock matures a bit and the algae fights everything out.