Cultivated Reef

Too much filter flow?

jcosmai5

Im thinking about making a comeback to reefing after 3/4 years off. Kids and work took priority over the tank. Im looking at starting a fluvial eve 13.5g that my 3 yr old and I can enjoy together. Would a sick syncra 1.5 bee too much flow through the back chambers? I am trying to get away with not adding a pump in the display tank as there such little viewing space to begin with so the return pump would be my only real flow like a closed loop system. Wondering if this tank could handle it or if I am better off with the sick 1.0. Second question is which sand bed do ppl use now? I have used oolite in the past with is very fine sand but am now seeing special grade too. Is there a real difference and should I try crushed coral instead?

I used a 1.5 on my nuvo 40 and it was plenty. I think a 1.5 maybe a little big for your evo.

As for sand i really love caribsea!

is it a little too much flow because of noise or i will have overflow issues with it? Im trying not to have powerbeads in the tank and want to since to be my only source of water movement.