inTank Media Baskets

Yellow coris wrasse question

Xj reefing

Xj reefing

Hi i have a huge bristle worm problem in my tank and also I think some flat worms. The tank is a 20 gallon cube with 2 clowns, 1 purple fire fish and 1 bi colour blenny. If I found a really small yellow coris wrasse could I get that if so how long could I keep it for as I intend on upgrading to a rsr 250 by the end of the year. I have a deep sand bed for it.

You're maxed out already in the 20g.

If you have huge amounts of bristle worms, thats usually due to there being an issue in the tank like being overstocked, over fed, lack of maintenance...

Exactly what is a huge bristle worm problem

Xj reefing

The main reason I want to get rid of the worms is because both me and the owner of my lfs suspect it caused my elegance to bail out as there were bristle worms inside it. I also pulled out 30 of them from a small rock

1 hour ago, Xj reefing said:

The main reason I want to get rid of the worms is because both me and the owner of my lfs suspect it caused my elegance to bail out as there were bristle worms inside it. I also pulled out 30 of them from a small rock

I doubt that bristle worms caused that...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Xj reefing said:

If I put my purple fire fish in my 5 gallon pico could I get a small one?

Too small for your fire fish...

6 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

If the elegance was already dying, and you may have not known that,  the decaying matter would attract the bristle worms to clean it up: doing their job.

Elegance are known to suffer from issues which would lead to  bail out 

Bristles don't go after healthy coral, we'd all be in trouble if they did

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

If I put my purple fire fish in my 5 gallon pico could I get a small one?

Your tank is too small for the wrasse which needs 50g and  5g too small for the firefish.

You could try a pygmy wrasse but you'd still need to rehome a fish.

Not all flatworms are harmful

• Like 1
On 5/8/2021 at 1:56 AM, Xj reefing said:

Hi i have a huge bristle worm problem in my tank and also I think some flat worms. The tank is a 20 gallon cube with 2 clowns, 1 purple fire fish and 1 bi colour blenny. If I found a really small yellow coris wrasse could I get that if so how long could I keep it for as I intend on upgrading to a rsr 250 by the end of the year. I have a deep sand bed for it.

A small yellow coris will be of no help for most bristle worms.

A pink streak or springer damsel will help with flat worms. 

You can buy bristle worm traps to lesson their numbers although they were likely just on the coral eating it because it was already dying. Elegance corals are finicky. 

3 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

I also would like a fish that is active and would swim around the tank and not be too shy. Would a pink streaked wrasse fit these traits?

Yes, they are not nearly as cryptic like the Pygmy wrasses. They do like to hug rocks and swim in and out of them, they are looking for food. They are difficult to find but do come available in small numbers every few months. 

Keep in mind that 5 fish in a 20g cube is pushing it a bit as all the fish need space to call their own. 

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef
23 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

What other fish could I get if I did not go with a pink streaked wrasse?

Go my route and have a dusky wrasse.. I joke your tank is too small. 

Don't worry about the worms, they are great and will die back once the food source is reduced. I wish I had loads more, but as per the stocking I have that's a pipe dream. 

I'm terms of activity yeah I would push a chromis in maybe 3 to keep the agression in species.