ReefCleaners.org

Stocking 16G Biocube

Misshelle

Misshelle

Hello everyone 😄

I am new to the forum, I thought this would be the perfect place to learn more about nano tanks.

My in-laws have a Sw tank that that very recently upgraded. Their old tank was a 16G Biocube they now have a 75 G long. Since they upgraded, I got their old tank and I am so STOKED!! My husband and I set it up April 24th, so it's been cycling for 2 weeks on Saturday. Now that they tank is up and running, I have been researching fish, inverts, and corals for future additions 😏 I have been reading that clownfish, gobbies, blennies, and firefish (I have a soft spot for firefish) are all great nano tank and beginner fish... but to be honest, I kind of want something different... So, I have been reading but I want help from people with experience, people that have been doing this for a while and know about compatibility, tank size, and requirements. So I am coming to you guys!

I was thinking about yellow banded possum wrasse, zebra barred dartfish, royal gramma, neon and orchid dottyback... I have read that gramma's can get a little feisty with fish similar to it, and dottyback's have a minimum tank size of 30 gallons. However, after reading some of these forums, I find that I'm not the only one thinking of housing a fish in a tank that would be "too small" for it's requirements. I was also looking at maybe star fish and nassarius snails or a pom-pom crab or cleaner shrimp. If/when I do put any coral, they will come later and I am looking at soft corals or LPS corals.

Any and all help, advice, and insights are greatly appreciated! 

Any of the pygmy wrasse would do great in here, possum Yellow banded, Tanaka, pink streak. Fire fish come in a few types and clowns are another good choice with lots of variety of patterns. Many small gobies and blennies would do well in here, tail spot blenny, yellow watchman goby, barnicle blenny and many others. I would only do 3 or 4 fish probly depending on type and size and what other inverts you end up getting. Grammas tent to get more agressive as they age and dottyback can get territorial the orchid is the most docile as far as I remember. Most serpent stars get too large for nano tanks also many stars like the sand shifting starfish feed on micro fauna I'm not sure one would do well in a nano probly wouldnt have enough food in a nano. Some will eat coral or are predatory so be cautious. I have a bunch of micro brittle stars and asterina that are very neat they usualy come as hitch hikers they are great in nanos. Those snails are a good choice if you like intresting inverts money cowrie and orange ring cowrie or some types of limpets like key holes are intresting and reef safe. Not all cowrie or limpets are reef safe. Cleaner shrimp are a good choice but can bother shrooms and zoas by walking on them if you have coral. Poppom crab is probly a good choice some kind of anemone shrimp would work too.

• Like 1

Congrats on the new tank! I currently have one with a yellow banded possum wrasse and a flame tail blenny. Both are quite happy and living peacefully together.

• Like 1
Misshelle

Thank you both for your help.

I think I am going to go with 1 Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse, 2 Neon Gobies, 1 Purple Firefish, and some algae eating inverts like Nassarius snails, Cerith snails, and a couple of peppermint shrimp.

• Like 1