Cultivated Reef

What is routine to keep Display clean and clear

Jakesaw

The front glass of my aquarium always has drips & haze from maintaining aquarium during the week.  I've used towels, t -shirt, etc.  I have been leaving it alone for a few days and front glass looks like garbage in a few days from salt residue.

What is your routine for keeping display crystal clear?

What type of cloth do you use?

What solvent do you use?

Is there a drying process after a wet wipe?

I want front of my tank to look better day to day.  I got the weekly algae scrape for interior but front of my tank needs improvement.

Thanks

Murphs_Reef

I tend to wait for the glass to dry, once it's dry run a damp (not soaking) towel over the glass, let that dry then use a dry paper towel to buff it off, removing any remaining salt marks along the way 👍🏼

Edited by Murphych
It's not a damn towel
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, growsomething said:

I skim read that and straight up thought you were expressing frustration with the "damn towel" until I re-read 😄

The  " damn towel " does leave a bit of moisture behind.  It doesn't get bone dry when wiped and I get a little film as the water dries completely.  So your initial read wasn't too far off.

My tank is more of a long line of learning experiments than a thing of design and beauty right now.  It'll grow into beautiful display on it's own timeframe as I learn.  be it in it's current tank or a larger one in due time. 

• Haha 1

Same as above. I use a damp towel to wipe it down, wait 5-10 minutes for it to dry, buff off the residue with a dry microfiber towel. 

Doing the above usually keeps it clear for a week unless I am mucking around and dripping water back on the glass. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Chutsk10 said:

Same as above. I use a damp towel to wipe it down, wait 5-10 minutes for it to dry, buff off the residue with a dry microfiber towel. 

I've got a few microfibre towels I can use.  Will try that out.  

blasterman

Local reef store uses a common window squeegee you see at gas stations. Purified Water with a bit of ammonia in the sponge side and then a quick swipe with the squeegee side. Done. When you have dozens of tanks to clean you need to save time.

• Like 1

I use microfiber cloths too, just have a few on rotation through the laundry.  I will wait for drops to dry before wiping down, and occasionally will add a bit of RODI to the cleaning towel, as it will cut down on the streaking left if its a bit grimy.  Usually a first pass after salt drips looks good but you can see some smudging later, so just doing it again (different side of the cloth) further reduces it later.

I definitely find it useful to wipe down when dry, so even if you do it when wet, going over it again when dry always seems to help.

• Like 1