inTank Media Baskets

Fish list for new tank

Xj reefing

Xj reefing

Over the last few weeks I have been thinking about upgrading my tank from a 20 gallon to either a Red Sea reefer 250 or a aqua one mini reef 215. I now the importance of all ways researching things in this hobby (I spend 90% of my time doing this) so I thought why not come here and get more people’s thoughts of this topic. This tank upgrade might not happen in the end but I think it might and want to be prepared.

Let’s start with the fish I already have:

2 clownfish

1 purple fire fish 

1 bi colour blenny

1 labout’s wrasse (main reason for upgrading)

fish I want to get:

a small bristle tooth tang

2 chromis

1 wrasse to eat pests (please give me suggestions)

I definitely want a wrasse to eat pest so I might not be able to have the 2 chromis. I would like a tang and I thought that if I go with the mini reef 215 because it is 4 foot it would work. The tank would be a reef tank so keep that in mind. 

MainelyReefer

Plan to rehome the tang eventually, I had a tomini in my reefer 250 that needed to be rehomed within a year.  Consider trying to get your hands on a captive bred yellow tang, since they start out so small you will get more time with it being appropriately sized.  I have a small yellow in my 50g lowboy right now who is arguably “happier” than my tomini was.  Resale on the yellow is a sure bet too

• Like 3
Xj reefing

I know if I do go with a tang I would have to eventually re home it. I may not get a tang now because when I got my wrasse which was a impulse buy I thought they would only grow to 3 inches not 5. I don’t want to rehome the wrasse so I thought why not upgrade.

M. Tournesol

The real question is why is the tang in your list?

• Is it your secret dream to have a tang?
  • Is it a fish species you want so mush that your are ready to rehome old fish to change them for younger one?
  • Is it an excuse to go bigger? 
NoOneLikesADryTang
10 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

1 wrasse to eat pests (please give me suggestions)

Generally anything in the Halichoeres family is a sold pest eater/tank protector. I usually suggest yellow coris wrasses, because they're good community fish, and typically don't go after clean up crew, like some other members of the Halichoeres family. 

Xj reefing
9 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

The real question is why is the tang in your list?

• Is it your secret dream to have a tang?
  • Is it a fish species you want so mush that your are ready to rehome old fish to change them for younger one?
  • Is it an excuse to go bigger? 

It is a secret dream of mine to have a tang but I can hold off until I get a larger tank if it is better for the fish.

Is a banna wrasse the same thing as a yellow coris wrasse because one of my lfs has a banna wrasse but says it’s scientific name is Halichoeres chrysus

6A4F792E-FB1F-4802-8D41-83F248E72AE7.png

• Like 1
M. Tournesol
25 minutes ago, Xj reefing said:

It is a secret dream of mine to have a tang but I can hold off until I get a larger tank if it is better for the fish.

I can understand, it must tickle you a lote.

25 minutes ago, Xj reefing said:

Is a banna wrasse the same thing as a yellow coris wrasse because one of my lfs has a banna wrasse but says it’s scientific name is Halichoeres chrysus

6A4F792E-FB1F-4802-8D41-83F248E72AE7.png

It looks more like a yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) than a bananas wrasse (Thalassoma lutescens according to google) your LFS must have made a mistake writing his common name.

Xj reefing

Where I live I am lucky to have so many great lfs around me and I think that is just what they call them in Australia. 

updated fish list

2 clowns

1 purple fire fish

1 bi colour blenny

1 labout’s wrasse

2 chromis (is this a good number?)

1 yellow coris wrasse

do you think this is a good fish list that will work together and in a rsr 250?

6 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

Where I live I am lucky to have so many great lfs around me and I think that is just what they call them in Australia. 

updated fish list

2 clowns

1 purple fire fish

1 bi colour blenny

1 labout’s wrasse

2 chromis (is this a good number?)

1 yellow coris wrasse

do you think this is a good fish list that will work together and in a rsr 250?

Probably need 6+ chromis as they are a schooling fish and need numbers to even out aggression. With two good chance you'll be left with one down the road.

• Like 1
Xj reefing

So today my labout’s wrasse died and I have no idea why. If you recon you might know why please go Check my discussion in the identification forum. Instead of the labout’s wrasse could I get a exquisite fairy wrasse or a melanurus wrasse? 

NoOneLikesADryTang
9 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

So today my labout’s wrasse died and I have no idea why. If you recon you might know why please go Check my discussion in the identification forum. Instead of the labout’s wrasse could I get a exquisite fairy wrasse or a melanurus wrasse? 

I'm really sorry to hear about your Labout's... Mine is my favorite fish. 

The fairy wrasse would be a great community fish for the tank. 

The Melanurus is from the Halichoeres family (like the yellow coris wrasse). They will probably be fine together, but I'd use an acclimation box when adding the second one. I believe the melanurus is probably a little more likely to snack on your clean up crew (they seem to be hit and miss on this - some do, some don't). Also, you should be aware that the Halichoeres family of fish need a sand bed - it's where they sleep, and where they hide if scared. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 12:40 AM, Xj reefing said:

Instead of some chromis could I get a coral beauty angelfish

yes a coral beauty will be fine in a 54g

• Like 1