Top Shelf Aquatics

Shopping new tanks.

snostorm

As the title implies I am shopping for a new upgrade from my Biocube 32.  Feel limited and for some reason am terrified its gonna fail its about 4 years old. Id like bigger but not terrible so. Dont like the cube's I find them limiting. More than anything I want quality.  Sturdy stand.  And High quality tank least likely to blow a seam down the road.  I do not mind paying for quality. As long as it is.

Companies I have shopped:

Red Sea

Waterbox

IM 

Reef Octopus Lux. 

Are these all generally similar in Tank quality?  Does anyone know of any other options?  I welcome experiences and opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I loved my IM tanks. 

My 10g was uses before i got it and i had it for 6 years.

My lagoon was 5yrs old.

Never had any issues with either tank.

• Like 1

I own an IM, three Waterbox's, and a Fiji Cube Peninsula.

My choice would be Waterbox. Fiji Cube is a close second. They both have very clean lines and no extra silicone in the corners like IM has. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MrP said:

I own an IM, three Waterbox's, and a Fiji Cube Peninsula.

My choice would be Waterbox. Fiji Cube is a close second. They both have very clean lines and no extra silicone in the corners like IM has. 

For some reason I am getting hysterical about tank failure and leaking.  The tank is on a second floor and I saw a thread about a Biocube splitting and the contents leaking out losing inhabitants and doing major damage.  So I started googling tank leaks by brand.  And sure enough there were few for Waterbox.  more for red sea and IM. Not sure if this is an indicator.  But it worth considering.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, snostorm said:

For some reason I am getting hysterical about tank failure and leaking.  The tank is on a second floor and I saw a thread about a Biocube splitting and the contents leaking out losing inhabitants and doing major damage.  So I started googling tank leaks by brand.  And sure enough there were few for Waterbox.  more for red sea and IM. Not sure if this is an indicator.  But it worth 

Tanks not being level is a major cause for tank failure.

How many users admit to this being a cause?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Tanks not being level is a major cause for tank failure.

How many users admit to this being a cause?

As in uneven surface? Or not level stand. My tank isn’t exactly level as when I drain for WC I can tell it’s slightly off. The tank is just sitting on its stand. I didn't use the stand that came with the tank because it seemed cheap and not sturdy

09236EFF-3BAB-4ABC-9375-CB44DC5A192E.jpeg

I like the idea of aluminum stand...IM APS stands seem really sturdy.  Would welcome feed back on their setups.

2 hours ago, snostorm said:

As in uneven surface? Or not level stand. My tank isn’t exactly level as when I drain for WC I can tell it’s slightly off. The tank is just sitting on its stand. I didn't use the stand that came with the tank because it seemed cheap and not sturdy

09236EFF-3BAB-4ABC-9375-CB44DC5A192E.jpeg

Both.

An eneven surface can cause pressure on the tank, thats why most place foam or yoga mat underneath rimless tanks 

An uneven stand puts pressure on the glass and seams which is the leading cause of seams letting go.

Thats why in every manual it states to ensure the tank is level.