ReefCleaners.org

Blasto Placement

RyanReef

Can a blasto go on the same rock as zoas or is it best to keep it by itself? Do they do well in the sand bed on a disc or do they need to be on rock low-mid tank?

Any other corals it can go next to...micro lord?

Thanks!

jservedio
23 minutes ago, RyanReef said:

Can a blasto go on the same rock as zoas or is it best to keep it by itself? Do they do well in the sand bed on a disc or do they need to be on rock low-mid tank?

Any other corals it can go next to...micro lord?

Thanks!

They will be fine with zoas and really any other corals, just be aware that if they grow directly into each other, the zoas are going to lose and will be killed back an inch or so. Blastos don't have sweepers or anything and aren't aggressive at all, but whatever comes into direct contact with them almost universally loses.

They don't do the best directly in the sand since they are so puffy and sand grains will annoy them, but right off the sand is generally best in a mixed tank since they prefer low-medium light and low-medium flow - similar to lords. I keep mine on a rock in the sand and they do really well there.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I love blastos.

I had almost  all mine in the sandbed on a frag plugs.

They all grew and quickly. 

So once they get to big for the plug did you move them on to anything, or do they only grow as big as the surface under them....so they stay on the plug?

jservedio
32 minutes ago, RyanReef said:

So once they get to big for the plug did you move them on to anything, or do they only grow as big as the surface under them....so they stay on the plug?

They form a ball if they are on a flat surface like a plug. Once they get to the edge of the plug, they just keep on growing. This guy started on a plug in the sand before being moved to a rock and is almost a perfect ball.

bounce-blasto.thumb.jpg.daa89a2ffe8f1a6b35d54d817950d9d6.jpg

1 minute ago, jservedio said:

They form a ball if they are on a flat surface like a plug. Once they get to the edge of the plug, they just keep on growing. This guy started on a plug in the sand before being moved to a rock and is almost a perfect ball.

bounce-blasto.thumb.jpg.daa89a2ffe8f1a6b35d54d817950d9d6.jpg

Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RyanReef said:

I just let them grow. They have a skeleton that grows underneath the flesh.

• Like 1