Jump to content
Pjanssen

My tank is leaking-Help!

Recommended Posts

Pjanssen

My 29 gallon bio cube has a leak somewhere. I've siliconed everywhere from the outside and it still has a leak from somewhere. I'm guessing at this point from the bottom which I can't get to right now. 

 

My question is, does it make sense to go to Petco and pick up a cheap 20-30 gallon tank and transfer everything, including water and a handful of sand over, until I can get a new system up and running? I would;d probably just add a HOB, or maybe just a powerhead and do more frequent water changes. 

 

I've got 3 weeks of 12-15 hour work days coming up, so I won't have any time for much. Opinions and suggestions will be greatly aprreciated

 

Thanks

 

Penny

Share this post


Link to post
dwdenny

I would get a cheap tank that everything will fit into and then deal with the leak after you work marathon. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Rehype

Agreed transfer as much of the water from your old tank as possible to the new tank and try not to stir up the sandbed too much as it can cause a mini cycle. A HOB filter,heater,and power head are needed.Do you have a lot of coral as well?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

Some corals yes. Torch, hammer Duncan. Monti cap, zoas, acans. 
I picked up a 20 Gallon tall. I hope it’s big enough. They didn’t have the 29, and I don’t want a 40 breeder

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Nathans_Reef
4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

My 29 gallon bio cube has a leak somewhere. I've siliconed everywhere from the outside and it still has a leak from somewhere. I'm guessing at this point from the bottom which I can't get to right now. 

 

My question is, does it make sense to go to Petco and pick up a cheap 20-30 gallon tank and transfer everything, including water and a handful of sand over, until I can get a new system up and running? I would;d probably just add a HOB, or maybe just a powerhead and do more frequent water changes. 

 

I've got 3 weeks of 12-15 hour work days coming up, so I won't have any time for much. Opinions and suggestions will be greatly aprreciated

 

Thanks

 

Penny

That is definitely what i would do if my tank leaked

Share this post


Link to post
Rehype
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Some corals yes. Torch, hammer Duncan. Monti cap, zoas, acans. 
I picked up a 20 Gallon tall. I hope it’s big enough. They didn’t have the 29, and I don’t want a 40 breeder

Do you have another light you can use? Or can you put the tank near a window for natural light in the interim.

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen
3 hours ago, Rehype said:

Do you have another light you can use? Or can you put the tank near a window for natural light in the interim.

Pretty sure I can use the light that I have. At least I hope I can

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

That stinks. Glad you found a tank to put everything in. That schedule is a very tough one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

I'd definitely abandon most of the sandbed. Take a few big scoops of it, put that in a bowl, put the bowl in the new tank, and leave the rest. There's too much potential for gunk and nastiness to cause problems if you try and transfer the old sandbed anywhere. If you move all the rocks over, you shouldn't have to worry about a cycle, as you'll have moved all your bacteria. 

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

Transfer done. No sand. No filter. 2 power heads. light. heater. ATO. No auto doser.

One of the gobies is a little spastic, but the other fish (another engineer gobies, 2 clowns and a pygmy hawk fish) seem to be settling down.

Leaving tomorrow for 3 days. Hopefully everything will be ok or my dog/house sitter will freak out.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
M. Tournesol
7 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Leaving tomorrow for 3 days

So, the tank leaking now and not tomorrow can be view as a good event?

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen
2 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

So, the tank leaking now and not tomorrow can be view as a good event?

An empty has nothing to leak! Yes, a good event.

  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Zer0

Are you going to try and find the leak out of curiosity, or just gonna scrap it? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen
On 5/4/2021 at 7:38 PM, Zer0 said:

Are you going to try and find the leak out of curiosity, or just gonna scrap it? 

SCRAP!!

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

You might put it on Craigslist for $20 or so, with full disclosure that it has a leak. Someone will probably take it off your hands for terrarium purposes. Terrariums don't need to hold water nearly as well, so someone could just seal the inside edges with silicone and be fine. You get a bit of cash, someone else gets a nice cheap terrarium, and it doesn't go in the trash. Win/win.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen
6 hours ago, Tired said:

You might put it on Craigslist for $20 or so, with full disclosure that it has a leak. Someone will probably take it off your hands for terrarium purposes. Terrariums don't need to hold water nearly as well, so someone could just seal the inside edges with silicone and be fine. You get a bit of cash, someone else gets a nice cheap terrarium, and it doesn't go in the trash. Win/win.

The stand is only 2 years old and in good shape. I am considering selling the stand and including the tank for free!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...