ReefCleaners.org

Salvage? Start Over?

Broseff

I've had a 3 gallon macro tank running for a few months now.

My goal was to keep things minimal (aesthetically and in maintanence). Ideally I want a couple of macros, coral and inverts. However, I've got a GHA outbreak and it's driving me crazy. 

• I can't remove it from some of the macros. 
  • I imagine it's the reason my coral isn't so happy.
  • It's killing my vibes. 
  • My herbivores aren't eating it fast enough, mainly they don't eat what grows on the macros.

Obviously anything that's good for the macros will also be good for GHA. I'm at a loss. So far I've been manually removing it, but it always comes back with a vengaence. I work 2 jobs and really don't have the time to do this every week. I'm also loosing the mental bandwidth to deal with GHA killing my tank. 

My thoughts are to try the following, potentially in the order listed. 

Perserving: Would a 3 day black out kill my macros? Are there any products that I can add without killing my macros? Any other recommendations?

Salvaging/Rebuilding: Anyway suggestions on how salvage the macros? Maybe take new growth out of the tank to grow seperately? How would I know that it won't bring GHA with it? Like do I need to use new substrate to ensure I don't add GHA into a new tank? How do I get inverts to evacuate live rock so I can cure it?

Give up: Do I just let it become the tank? Redesign the tank so the GHA looks good and then just keep inverts (emerald crab, snails, starfish)?