Cultivated Reef

Dip spit and a reek tank...?

Reefkid88

Reefkid88

So my 2yr old son,decided to pour a half a bottle of dip spit into my tank while I was emptying my dirty tank water bucket.. Thankfully I caught him right after he had done it,and it was still all in one spot clumped together.

I immediately grabbed ½" tubing instead of my airline tubing and siphoned the plume of dip spit as fast as I could,resulting in about almost a gallon of water(out of about 2.5-3g water volume),pulled my media rack,put fresh carbon in it,swapped out my filter pad and filled the tank back up.

All my corals are zoa's,1 mushroom and a few acan's.

What do you guys think ? Maybe replace the carbon again tomorrow,maybe another small water change ?

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
WV Reefer
22 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

So my 2yr old son,decided to pour a half a bottle of dip spit into my tank while I was emptying my dirty tank water bucket.. Thankfully I caught him right after he had done it,and it was still all in one spot clumped together.

I immediately grabbed ½" tubing instead of my airline tubing and siphoned the plume of dip spit as fast as I could,resulting in about almost a gallon of water(out of about 2.5-3g water volume),pulled my media rack,put fresh carbon in it,swapped out my filter pad and filled the tank back up.

What do you guys think ? Maybe replace the carbon again tomorrow,maybe another small water change ?

First of all........ew. 

But it seems like you caught it right away so I’m sure it will be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Reefkid88
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

First of all........ew. 

I know,I'm trying to quit. But with the idiots I work with,it makes it difficult. 

I'm hoping so,I really am.

Not to mention the little terrorist ruined a $100 baby monitor last week and while my wife was sleeping he came into the room and turned out trash can upside down dropped it in my tank.. I swear lol. 

Then earlier while I was changing our 1yr old after his nap with a poopy diaper,my 2yr old took his pants off said "dada pee pee" I turned around and pissed all over my brand new couch.. my life is in shambles at the moment. 

• Haha 8
ECLS Reefer
42 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

First of all........ew. 

I second that. Ew. Though my little one was a terror. I can completely imagine if he were still in diapers, he’d share a bit of diaper treasures with the fish tank. He was a nightmare to keep up with, and I’m surprised he never burned my house down. Good thing you were right there to catch it!

• Haha 5
Reefkid88
20 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

I second that. Ew. Though my little one was a terror. I can completely imagine if he were still in diapers, he’d share a bit of diaper treasures with the fish tank. He was a nightmare to keep up with, and I’m surprised he never burned my house down. Good thing you were right there to catch it!

Oh god,that would be terrible lol. Idk what I would do. I'm surprised mine hasn't either,honestly. 

I think what helped to,is the tube for my AC30 was pulled up and barely pumping out water,so that helped big time. 

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
11 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Oh god,that would be terrible lol. Idk what I would do. I'm surprised mine hasn't either,honestly. 

I think what helped to,is the tube for my AC30 was pulled up and barely pumping out water,so that helped big time. 

Yes little boys are devious. Such good timing that you were there. It would be my luck that something like that would happen when I was at work.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 5/1/2021 at 11:17 PM, ECLS Reefer said:

Yes little boys are devious. Such good timing that you were there. It would be my luck that something like that would happen when I was at work.

As a father of 3 young boys this hurts more than it should. 

• Like 3
On 9/9/2021 at 7:36 PM, bones6966 said:

As a father of 3 young boys this hurts more than it should. 

It was definitely terrible but due to quick thinking no ill side effects come of the situation. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 9:39 PM, Reefkid88 said:

The grossest reef post ever.

• Haha 1
On 5/1/2021 at 10:09 PM, Reefkid88 said:

I know,I'm trying to quit. But with the idiots I work with,it makes it difficult. 

I'm hoping so,I really am.

Not to mention the little terrorist ruined a $100 baby monitor last week and while my wife was sleeping he came into the room and turned out trash can upside down dropped it in my tank.. I swear lol. 

Then earlier while I was changing our 1yr old after his nap with a poopy diaper,my 2yr old took his pants off said "dada pee pee" I turned around and pissed all over my brand new couch.. my life is in shambles at the moment. 

Welcome to real life.  🙂

On 5/2/2021 at 1:13 AM, Murphych said:

What the Yank Christ is "bottle of dip spit"? 

That would never happen in the UK we don't have spit in bottles... I blame trump for this 

Unless chewing tobacco is illegal there, I'm not sure if it's more gross to have spit bottles to NOT to have spit bottles.  (Swallowing that crap is the alternative.)

Oy what a thread!

On 10/9/2021 at 7:14 PM, Tired said:

You might need a locking lid. That seems like either a product that's sold or a product that can be made. 

I don't have a tank anymore. 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:13 AM, Murphych said:

What the Yank Christ is "bottle of dip spit"? 

That would never happen in the UK we don't have spit in bottles... I blame trump for this 

Its a bottle you spit your chewing tobacco in to. Wtf does Trump have to do with any of this ?! 

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Unless chewing tobacco is illegal there, I'm not sure if it's more gross to have spit bottles to NOT to have spit bottles.  (Swallowing that crap is the alternative.)

Oy what a thread!

keep your opinion to yourself,please. I could've sworn I blocked you 🤔

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Welcome to real life.  🙂

What else is there besides real like...? 

13 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Do you still have a tank that is wet? 

I do not.