Coral Vue Hydros

Downsize tank choices?

ps2cho

So my 50gal cube /w sump is just too much work unfortunately since I had a child...

My plan is to give away the Kole Tang on craigslist local, then I only have one Clownfish and one Royal gramma.

I'm thinking an All-in-One. If money isn't a concern, what is the highest end AIO tank on the market right now thats around 20-25gal?

natalia_la_loca

When I was thinking about an AIO in that size range, the Red Sea Max Nano was the highest end tank I saw. No experience with it personally.

2 hours ago, tdannhauser30 said:

Ree sea for sure if cost is no matter

I like the Red Sea option, but I don't want the light, skimmer etc....

What about the Waterbox 35.2 AIO?

Now I consider the volume...I wonder whether a 33g would be considerably less work...its probably half the water volume I have right now and no sump to deal with. Wondering if 20 gal will end up being very restrictive?

M. Tournesol
9 minutes ago, ps2cho said:

20 gal will end up being very restrictive?

In the beginner guide, it is say:

- for 20 gallon 3-5 fish

- Clownfish ok in a 7 gallon (10 for a pair)

- Royal gramma ok in a 10 gallon.

devaji108

my thoughts.

WB 25 peninsula

fiji cube 20 gal peninsula

if you dont have a good place for a peninsula and dont want to make one.

then WB 20 cube

IM 30L

that said I dont think going an AIO or smaller is going to be that much easier I think a sumped tank is easier to care for most of the time.

PS I will take your kole tank 🙂 I have a nice new res sea 650P for it. so plenty of space. 

I decided on the Waterbox 35.2 in the end! Backordered for a month, so going to be a little, but gives me time.

I think the AIO plus dropping water volume from ~65gal to ~33g will save me a lot of additional clean up, time doing water changes.

Plus:

No aptasisa battles

No more overgrown out of control montipora and other coral fighting..

Not happy with my sump, its impossible to keep clean, no space for a bigger one. Return pump headloss is too much etc. etc

Numerous reasons other than just the AIO part.

But yes if anybody local in Phoenix area wants a free Kole Tang message me. About 3-years old...no issues with him other than he could fatten up if you feed more than I have been as trying to keep nutrients down. Might take me time to catch him, so have to be willing to be patient!

DevilDuck
2 hours ago, ps2cho said:

I decided on the Waterbox 35.2 in the end! Backordered for a month, so going to be a little, but gives me time.

I think the AIO plus dropping water volume from ~65gal to ~33g will save me a lot of additional clean up, time doing water changes.

Plus:

No aptasisa battles

No more overgrown out of control montipora and other coral fighting..

Not happy with my sump, its impossible to keep clean, no space for a bigger one. Return pump headloss is too much etc. etc

Numerous reasons other than just the AIO part.

But yes if anybody local in Phoenix area wants a free Kole Tang message me. About 3-years old...no issues with him other than he could fatten up if you feed more than I have been as trying to keep nutrients down. Might take me time to catch him, so have to be willing to be patient!

I don't think going smaller will eliminate any of these it will make these battles smaller scale at best or at worse you will need to do it more frequently which can translate into MORE work.

Aptasisa will still be a problem. When they reappear they will be more work since you have less room for it's natural predators like file fish.

Coral fighting will be worse since you will have less room to move corals and arrange your corals as they grow.

I never owned a sump but I think the return pump headloss can be countered with an small investment in a DC or more powerful pump...

The AIO section of the tank will still need to be cleaned and depending on the tank it will be harder to get your hands in the cramped space.

Personally, I think the simplest way to ease the work is to go fish only with less demanding fish and some minor equipment upgrades like a better skimmer and better return pump.