Top Shelf Aquatics

Nicrew 50w vs Hipergero 30w

fishkeepersaltnfresh

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Hi All,

I have a 29G long tank. The diomensions are 30L x 12W x 18H. I currently have a black box LED light. Corals are doing OK. I want to upgrade to get a light which will allow me to control the Blues & Whites separately. I am on budget. I came across Hipergero 30W & the Nicrew 50 W on Amazon. These fit my budget and will definitely be an upgrade over what I currently have. I do not mind losing some real estate on the sides of the tank if the light spread is not good there. I am also looking for lights with a mount.

I have mostly LPS, Zoas & mushrooms along with a orange Monti which is on top of the rockscape & in the center of the tank.

I am tempted towards Nicrew 50 W because it mentions a maximum spread of 24 x 24 inches.... but Hipergero has got better reviews...

What are your thoughts.... Any comment is highly appreciated.

1 hour ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Hi All,

I have a 29G long tank. The diomensions are 30L x 12W x 18H. I currently have a black box LED light. Corals are doing OK. I want to upgrade to get a light which will allow me to control the Blues & Whites separately. I am on budget. I came across Hipergero 30W & the Nicrew 50 W on Amazon.

What black box are you running?  Most of them have 2 channels you control for the Blue vs White intensity.  My viparspectra has Blue & White channels you control independently with a timer to turn on and off for each channel at chosen intensity.  About the same price as the Nicrew.  

Either 

fishkeepersaltnfresh
22 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

What black box are you running?  Most of them have 2 channels you control for the Blue vs White intensity.  My viparspectra has Blue & White channels you control independently with a timer to turn on and off for each channel at chosen intensity.  About the same price as the Nicrew.  

Either 

Mine is a Koval brand off Amazon.

When people refer to " black box " lights it's usually referring to the 165 Watt reef lights imported with a separate Blue & White channel.   

Pros

Can grow most any coral ( is my understanding )

Can adjust Blue & white channel independantly

Should cover your 29 gallon standard aquarium  ( mine is over 10 but will be 20L soon )

Budget friendly ( 79- 140 depending on brand / feature. / build quality )

If I want a more attractive smaller light at some point in the future, I have a frag tank light. 

cons -

Have to hang light -

You need to make a DIY mount to hang / or attach from ceiling.  

Lager footprint is not as attractive as smaller tank mounted lights for home display in common areas

As a fellow budget reefer,  I was looking at Hipargero for first light, but found used Viparspectra ( 1 plug with Timer / digital controls / remote )  Set it and forget it.  If I want to bump up the blue or white or change on / off times, I just grab my remote and adjust the settings and put remote away.  

There are more aesthetically attractive lights ( that cost more ), and I'd like ( not need ) a ramp up option but weighting the pros and cons I'm happy I went this route for my first tank.  Gets me into hobby to learn without light being a limiting option for coral growth.  If I choose to upgrade light, I can recover most of my cost or use it as a frag tank grow light. 

• Thanks 1
fishkeepersaltnfresh
29 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

When people refer to " black box " lights it's usually referring to the 165 Watt reef lights imported with a separate Blue & White channel.   

Pros

Can grow most any coral ( is my understanding )

Can adjust Blue & white channel independantly

Should cover your 29 gallon standard aquarium  ( mine is over 10 but will be 20L soon )

Budget friendly ( 79- 140 depending on brand / feature. / build quality )

If I want a more attractive smaller light at some point in the future, I have a frag tank light. 

cons -

Have to hang light -

You need to make a DIY mount to hang / or attach from ceiling.  

Lager footprint is not as attractive as smaller tank mounted lights for home display in common areas

As a fellow budget reefer,  I was looking at Hipargero for first light, but found used Viparspectra ( 1 plug with Timer / digital controls / remote )  Set it and forget it.  If I want to bump up the blue or white or change on / off times, I just grab my remote and adjust the settings and put remote away.  

There are more aesthetically attractive lights ( that cost more ), and I'd like ( not need ) a ramp up option but weighting the pros and cons I'm happy I went this route for my first tank.  Gets me into hobby to learn without light being a limiting option for coral growth.  If I choose to upgrade light, I can recover most of my cost or use it as a frag tank grow light. 

I doubt mine has that ability. hence was looking for an upgrade without breaking the bank.

Both lights won't provide the light spread you need for the tank. You will need 2. You aretalking significant dark areas.

Can't really comment on the light themselves, never used either. I have used Nicrew lighting but not this particular one.

• Thanks 1

I use a full spectrum Nicrew not a reef one for planted tanks not that one but they work very well I've had them for years even droped one in the tank a few times it was quickly yanked out and is fine. They seem to be  prety durable but as stated the light spread is not that wide on them. The ones I use are full spectrum but have a bit of a yellow tinge to them but it looks very natural for planted tanks. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...