Coral Vue Hydros

mcashatt01

@LazyFish just ordered one from rainbow reefs!

Went on an impulse buying spree last night and probably made some mistakes. I ordered two hammers and a frogspawn. Worked them up in photoshop for planning purposes. Is adding this many at once a bad idea?

Here's the placement plan...

20210518_221555_compress68.thumb.jpg.f67358437322c392bb7990afce194d20.jpg

• Like 1

nice tank, though the sand bed is fine, mine is much deeper, congratulations on your new setup, are things cycled? you should just take things slow.

yours Rab,

mcashatt01
6 hours ago, Rabb.D said:

nice tank, though the sand bed is fine, mine is much deeper, congratulations on your new setup, are things cycled? you should just take things slow.

yours Rab,

Thanks Rab. Yes, everything is fully cycled. Happened fast thanks to the aquacultured live rock from KP Aquatics, a couple of water changes, 90% followed by 20% and for good measure a bottle of Turbo Start just before adding the clowns. As for taking it slow... it's so hard! Lol. That said, everything seems very stable at the moment. I don't plan to add any other fish or inverts for a while but do plan to add the euphyllia's I've purchased. That's if I can ever finalize my order with the seller, but that's another story.

Gsp dose that sometimes will probly be fine probly just disturbed it. Some people grow xenia like weeds for others they cant get them to grow for anything. They both like "dirtier" more nutreant rich water.

• Like 2
mcashatt01

Added a few Zoa colonies today. LFS was having a buy 2 get 1 free sale and couldn't resist. Plus the wife was saying I needed more color so seemed like a free pass to me. Everything is still a little mad from the move. I'll get some close up once they open up.

In other news my clowns, Vanelope and Ralph, are still working things out. Bottom line Vanelope is mean! Hoping they can work things out without too much more damage to Ralph's tail fin 🙏

20210603_195251.thumb.jpg.62b94ed5f946f200556095eafaa9174b.jpg

Few more pics from the past week. The hammers have really opened up and the GSP is happy again. 

20210602_170158.thumb.jpg.3449200532bab4db2d6c43e9a3f1887d.jpg20210602_170015.thumb.jpg.c7b2e36a44bfca97aa01a81e1e0c8bdf.jpg

• Like 3

Finally added a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby and Pistol Shrimp yesterday along with a Turbo Snail and Candy Cane Coral.

The Pistol has been hard at it working on his cave. This morning the goby was outside of it but quickly retreated to another hiding spot onve he saw me. Hoping he gets a bit more adventurous. 

Haven't got a pic of the goby shrimp duo yet but will once they start feeling more at home.

Really happy with how things are looking right now but would love some suggestions on other corals to add.

20210613_135701.thumb.jpg.8510a035dd0bef7dde564a1519d73308.jpg20210613_140110.thumb.jpg.80d5fc2a8dd73ff2097e702658251996.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good ! You seem to have alot of green and purple. Personaly I would add something orange next like maby bambam zoas or orange ricordia. Or....a orange Monty cap or a branching orange montipora then perhaps something yellow like some scrambled eggs or blue eyed blonde zoas.

14 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Looking good ! You seem to have alot of green and purple. Personaly I would add something orange next like maby bambam zoas or orange ricordia. Or....a orange Monty cap or a branching orange montipora then perhaps something yellow like some scrambled eggs or blue eyed blonde zoas.

Love it, looking into all these now. Definitely need some 🍊

Finally captured Jimmy(Goby) & Clark(Pistol) doing their thing while Tron(Halloween Hermit) decided to crash the party. Warning - not the most exciting footage.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great!  I also have an IM10.  Bought a used system yesterday that came with just one leather.  I see you found a turquoise candy cane coral?  That is my favorite coral of all time.  I'm super into softies and not much for the hard corals, but I just adore those turquoise trumpets.  I hope I'm able to find some.

Definitely will be following along with your progress :).

• Like 1

I'm way overdue on updating this journal. I've had many mishaps and events since my last post. One, I lost both my Randall's Pistol Shrimp and Hi Fin Goby through separate events. I found what I'd hoped to by the molt of my Pistol but later realized it was in fact his body. I have two theories, one, it was either my hitchhiker crab or hitchhiker Pistol that killed it or two, he just died. My second mishap happened over a vacation on the 4th. Luckily my ReefBeat app notified me that it had been disconnected so I knew something was up. Fortunately, I was only an hour away so rushed home to find everything off. Everything outside the tank was soaked from my pump spraying water as my ATO had failed to keep the water level. The water was spraying out of the holes I made in my return tubing to ease the flow. This water unfortunately sprayed my outlet which tripped the GFI. I suspect the tank had set this way for over 5 hours because I didn't notice the notification at first. Later I found my Hi Fin next to the tank barely holding on. I later euthanized him as he only got worse once returning him to the tank. I knew my Turbo Snail had been screwing up my ATO by covering the return grate causing the ATO to error out. I thought I had addressed this with a smart outlet surge protector by setting a schedule to turn the ATO off and on 6 times every six hours to let the ATO catch back up in case the Snail had tripped it out again. However, I failed to set this for everyday! Ahhhh! That has since been addressed and have not had to mess with the ATO ever since.

On a happier note, I've also added a few corals since my last post which have been added to my opening post. My more established corals are starting to fill in nicely and the clowns are thriving. 

Here's the latest pics...20210729_125719.thumb.jpg.5f9366d1d4a14db7132cd575bc922f99.jpg

20210729_125535.thumb.jpg.5c831503bdcd7e7a0f549871b156448c.jpg

• Like 6

Oh my gosh...that's a scary mishap!  I left town for a week and was worried something would happen because Murphy's Law.  It ended up being ok though.

Your corals look VERY happy 😊.

• Like 1

It could have been a lot worse I guess. I seem to have it straightened out.

Thanks to a Facebook group I follow, I got lucky and caught the Marine Depot RODI sale and got the Aquamaxx Deluxe system for half price. Got it up and going today. No more going to the LFS 40 minutes away for H2O. 20210807_123939.thumb.jpg.094940ba9d70e5b5a0b305f5779fb449.jpg

Also added a 14gallon storage tote with float valve and spigot. The RODI system came with all the bells and whistles including booster pump, auto flush, tds meter, automatic on and off etc. 

• Like 1

Finally found a blue tipped frogspawn for a reasonable price. Also added a Blue Neon Goby and a Yellow Clown Goby. Everyone is getting along great but I'm officially maxed out on fish😬The Neon, yet to be named, joins my cleaner shrimp in cleaning my hand anytime they're in the tank. I love this little guys curiosity, he's everywhere. The Clown Goby spends alot of time in my Hammer which is cool. He's a finicky eater though and looks way to skinny. I've been over feeding the past couple weeks trying to get him to eat more. This of course has raised my nitrates quite a bit so I'm now doing weekly 3 gallon changes as opposed to 2 gallon.

Seems to be working out well so far.

20210901_122857.thumb.jpg.2ffef99e960de3e2e369b19f1e9bbb0d.jpg

VideoCapture_20210903-232445.thumb.jpg.08832f262283da03afce7032b7d25bbe.jpg

20210825_135613.thumb.jpg.b03def9743420cf34bc9defaa43b6704.jpg

• Like 2

Running into a couple issues with the clown goby. Originally he would hangout mostly in the corners on the glass. After about a week he started hanging out in the hammers full-time. Since then. My Hammers aren't opening up fully. 

20210911_102837.thumb.jpg.a86eebbab52816904599d2bf1e695553.jpg

Will the Hammers eventually get used to him? 

It's just like when clownfish start hanging out in a coral.  The coral hates it at first, but eventually the coral will get used to it.  I'd just give it some time.  

How's the goby eating for you?  I always had a hard time getting them to eat.  They'd take the food in and spit it out...so frustrating!

22 minutes ago, gena said:

It's just like when clownfish start hanging out in a coral.  The coral hates it at first, but eventually the coral will get used to it.  I'd just give it some time.  

How's the goby eating for you?  I always had a hard time getting them to eat.  They'd take the food in and spit it out...so frustrating!

The clown goby was really worrying me at first but is finally eating frozen brine and my LFS's frozen food they make in house. Still way to skinny but I think we're out if the danger zone. The Neon goby is a pig just like my oc clowns 😆 

Thanks for the info, I just needed some reassuring.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, mcashatt01 said:

The clown goby was really worrying me at first but is finally eating frozen brine and my LFS's frozen food they make in house. Still way to skinny but I think we're out if the danger zone. The Neon goby is a pig just like my oc clowns 😆 

Thanks for the info, I just needed some reassuring.

No problem! That's awesome that it's eating well for you!

• Like 1