Cultivated Reef

Did my royal gramma do this?

Alex33xKV

Hi,

a week ago I bought a royal gramma, it has refused to eat and hides whenever I come close to the aquarium. I've noticed that it has been aggressive towards my clowns, and roughly 5 days after I had bought it, I found my tuxedo urchin floating around, and a day after that I found my cleaner shrimp in pieces on the sandbed. Could my gramma royal have done this? I checked my ammonia and it's 0 - so couldn't have been ammonia.

I can't imagine it attacking an urchin with sharp spines.  However, shrimp are particularly sensitive creatures.  Sounds like something is off (who knows if it was a salinity change or something else).  Hopefully your basslet will start eating soon.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
On 4/26/2021 at 9:01 AM, Alex33xKV said:

Hi,

a week ago I bought a royal gramma, it has refused to eat and hides whenever I come close to the aquarium. I've noticed that it has been aggressive towards my clowns, and roughly 5 days after I had bought it, I found my tuxedo urchin floating around, and a day after that I found my cleaner shrimp in pieces on the sandbed. Could my gramma royal have done this? I checked my ammonia and it's 0 - so couldn't have been ammonia.

Welcome to the community!

How long had you had the tuxedo urchin?

Is it possible the cleaner shrimp had simply molted? Sometimes their molt shells look like a dead shrimp.

• Like 1