Jump to content
Kindanewtothis

Kinda's "Magnificent" 50 and what not to do...

Recommended Posts

Kindanewtothis

Share this post


Link to post
M. Tournesol

We need to know your flow pump wh consumption (88wh / pump wh = max duration of your battery in hour according to the manufacturer).

Furthermore, the battery doesn't seem to have an ups system.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

Yeah, a generator is often the best.  However, some people use a car inverter or even an UPS.  As a last resort, a battery powered air stone can often prevent a tank crash.  You typically don't need to power everything (aeration being the most important, then, depending on the weather, possibly heat).  Lighting might be the least important.

 

More oxygen will be required with more fish.  Also, more fish can make a tank crash worse.  So a backup plan is a good idea. 👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Jakesaw
53 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B082FP98DJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_dl_3HBH8BGS3GF5EGFBNWJ1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

 

What do you guys think of that in case there is no electricity for a few hours? 

I'm no Electrical engineer, but that seems a robust phone charger at 88w.

 

For a heater and circulation pump - I'd think an APC would work much longer.  I have one of an APC 650 on my WIFI & desktop for when the power goes out.  650 VA ( Which I think is equivalent to 650 W).  Have replaced the original battery twice and it keeps on kicking. 

 

You can get various sizes & features internal battery but it's great to have some juice when needed. The one you linked to seems small to me but for just circulation pump maybe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

The sicce is only 4W, skimmer 2.5W and nero 3 is 20W. all I want is something to maintain water movement and air. For the heat, I got a slow combustion fireplace on the same floor than the tank.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
M. Tournesol
1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

I'm no Electrical engineer, but that seems a robust phone charger at 88w.

 

For a heater and circulation pump - I'd think an APC would work much longer.  I have one of an APC 650 on my WIFI & desktop for when the power goes out.  650 VA ( Which I think is equivalent to 650 W).  Have replaced the original battery twice and it keeps on kicking. 

 

You can get various sizes & features internal battery but it's great to have some juice when needed. The one you linked to seems small to me but for just circulation pump maybe.

650VA ~650*0.8 watt = 455 watt.

But 455 watt doesn't means 455 wh (watt hour). An APC generally need to work for 2~5 minutes and no more.

 

For price comparison an eco flow river plus with 320Wh cost $449. Your APS cost $81. Thus, It shouldn't have a capacity of 455wh.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
M. Tournesol
39 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The sicce is only 4W, skimmer 2.5W and nero 3 is 20W. all I want is something to maintain water movement and air. For the heat, I got a slow combustion fireplace on the same floor than the tank.

It should be good for 3~5 hours (88/(20+4+2,5)=3.3h) since 20 watt for your Nero is when the Nero is at max flow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Jakesaw
28 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

650VA ~650*0.8 watt = 455 watt.

But 455 watt doesn't means 455 wh (watt hour). An APC generally need to work for 2~5 minutes and no more.

 

For price comparison an eco flow river plus with 320Wh cost $449. Your APS cost $81. Thus, It shouldn't have a capacity of 455wh.

Appreciate the info.  

 

Don't know how to measure out the significance, The Ecoflow river plus is a Lithium battery / while the power supply I listed uses a cheap bulky Lead acid battery.  Mine's also pretty dated like a good old transistor radio that just keeps working... fingerscrossed

 

I think the 2-5 minutes is at full load.  

 

I shut down desktop Computer when the power goes out.  But I've ran a laptop with wifi ( separate modem + wireless router ) and charged phones for well over an hour many times.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

I bought it. The nero 3 is not an obligation in case of power loss. So the sicce (4w) and the skimmer (2.5w) should be good to work a few hours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
M. Tournesol
1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

I think the 2-5 minutes is at full load.  

 

I shut down desktop Computer when the power goes out.  But I've ran a laptop with wifi ( separate modem + wireless router ) and charged phones for well over an hour many times.  

Yes, at full load. The average draw of a phone is 3,68 watt, 15-45 watt for a laptop  and 60-250 watt for a desktop computer .

You may have like 60~80wh in your APC.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

There is a small white dot on my flame angelfish...

 

How do I know if it's itch?

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1891BroJr
3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

There is a small white dot on my flame angelfish...

 

How do I know if it's itch?

 

 

See how it reacts if you scratch it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
6 minutes ago, 1891BroJr said:

See how it reacts if you scratch it. 

Wait what?

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

How do I know if it's itch?

I think that was a joke, since you called it itch and not Ich.

 

Let's hope it's not Ich, as that can be disastrous in a crowded nano tank.  Keep a close eye on all of the fish.  There isn't a reef safe treatment for Ich.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
9 hours ago, seabass said:

I think that was a joke, since you called it itch and not Ich.

 

Let's hope it's not Ich, as that can be disastrous in a crowded nano tank.  Keep a close eye on all of the fish.  There isn't a reef safe treatment for Ich.

 

 

Let's hope it's not it.

Share this post


Link to post
TNSRFR
On 11/28/2021 at 1:35 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

There is a small white dot on my flame angelfish...

 

How do I know if it's itch?

 

 

I purchased a flame angel on Black Friday to replace the one that was lost.   She’s in QT now but I also noticed a small white dot on her.  I’m hoping it’s not ick also.  She’s eating really good and haven’t seen her rubbing against anything so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
23 hours ago, TNSRFR said:

I purchased a flame angel on Black Friday to replace the one that was lost.   She’s in QT now but I also noticed a small white dot on her.  I’m hoping it’s not ick also.  She’s eating really good and haven’t seen her rubbing against anything so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.  

I'm not sure it's ich also, looks more like a "dead pixel" on the fish.

Share this post


Link to post
TNSRFR
4 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I'm not sure it's ick also, looks more like a "dead pixel" on the fish.

That would be great!  I’m keeping an eye on mine also and adding garlic and selcon to the food I feed.  I’m also adding multivitamin and vitamin C in the water but I don’t know whether that helps or not...  Good luck

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Any advices on handling and transfering a zoa frag from the 10g (with flatworms) to the 50g?

 

Is dipping enough? Would it also kill possible dinos?

20211130_161119.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

Zoanthids can usually tolerate a strong peroxide dip.  That might work; however, a dip might not kill off any eggs (which is also why people usually do multiple doses of Flatworm eXit).

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
22 minutes ago, seabass said:

Zoanthids can usually tolerate a strong peroxide dip.  That might work; however, a dip might not kill off any eggs (which is also why people usually do multiple doses of Flatworm eXit).

I did two doses of Flatworm eXit. I don't actally see flatworms on the coral, only some.on the walls. I could do it again 2 times, the only livestock in the tank is the zoas and a small mushroom.

Share this post


Link to post
DevilDuck

I've dipped zoas in straight 3% peroxide for 10 mins with no ill effects. You can also follow that up with a rinse in freshwater. 

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
11 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

I've dipped zoas in straight 3% peroxide for 10 mins with no ill effects. You can also follow that up with a rinse in freshwater. 

So it would be better than this?

20211130_211816.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
DevilDuck

Is that ReVive? I use that too as a gentler dip, it is nothing by essential oil. You can probably drink a shot of it safely. 

The hydrogen peroxide is much stronger, it will kill almost anything on the frag. Perhaps the only exception would be eggs and cysts that have an extremely tough coating. You can find it at most pharmacies.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...