ReefCleaners.org

It might not currently be causing any problems.  But yeah, I'd probably prefer something like 5 to 10ppm of nitrate.  Dosing is an option, especially if you are planning on doing a substantial water change.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
3 hours ago, seabass said:

It might not currently be causing any problems.  But yeah, I'd probably prefer something like 5 to 10ppm of nitrate.  Dosing is an option, especially if you are planning on doing a substantial water change.

Thanks, any input on those brown particules in the water, could it just be the same diatoms I have on my walls? I'm tempted to use my UV a few days.

11 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Thanks, any input on those brown particules in the water, could it just be the same diatoms I have on my walls? I'm tempted to use my UV a few days.

As you know, dinos is a possibility.  I think you are afraid to check with your microscope and would prefer to speculate.  UV isn't harmful to just about anything that you can see; but it does tend to eliminate an important link in the food chain for your biodiversity.

We've had this conversation before.  And I feel that I've been on both sides of the argument.  I guess (since you have both a scope and UV) I'd recommend checking a sample under your microscope and using UV if there are dinos and leaving them be if it's all diatoms.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
4 hours ago, seabass said:

As you know, dinos is a possibility.  I think you are afraid to check with your microscope and would prefer to speculate.  UV isn't harmful to just about anything that you can see; but it does tend to eliminate an important link in the food chain for your biodiversity.

We've had this conversation before.  And I feel that I've been on both sides of the argument.  I guess (since you have both a scope and UV) I'd recommend checking a sample under your microscope and using UV if there are dinos and leaving them be if it's all diatoms.

Thanks for you answer, but I have been using the microscope a lot lately because yes I'm affraid that dinos come back so if I see something brown it's going under the microscope. But, those brown thing in the water, I could not get a good sample so I was wondering if diatoms (or something else) can be free floating. 

22 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

There is something in the water column, at least at the surface. Brownish, you can see it on the syringe from the test (small brown dots that stuck to it). Could it be just diatoms in the water? I do not think it's dinos...

I could not get a good sample 

If you are having a hard time collecting a sample, maybe dip a slide through it, then wipe off the underside of the slide so that the stuff in question is left on top of the slide.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

If you are having a hard time collecting a sample, maybe dip a slide through it, then wipe off the underside of the slide so that the stuff in question is left on top of the slide.

That's actually a really good idea.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
4 hours ago, seabass said:

Diatoms! It's just diatoms!

20211108_113120.jpg

• Like 4

1) How is the flame angel in your tank.  Has it bothered any of your corals?

2) I don't see the Royal Gramma in the picture.  Is he still healthy and alive getting along with the others in the tank?

Thanks

Kindanewtothis
3 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

1) How is the flame angel in your tank.  Has it bothered any of your corals?

2) I don't see the Royal Gramma in the picture.  Is he still healthy and alive getting along with the others in the tank?

Thanks

1) the flame angel doesn't touch the corals, it sometimes chase a little the RG but it's mostly a model citizen. It eats mysis and spirulina flakes.

2) RG is not shy anymore, still hides in the same rock at night but by day it explores all the tank

20211108_151218.jpg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

2) RG is not shy anymore, still hides in the same rock at night but by day it explores all the tank

Cool, 

The tank I first saw the RG looking awesome in was a 50 gallon.  He was very much an open swimmer between the rockwork and corals.  I think my 10 gallon was too small for him especially moving into mature clown's back yard.

When I upgrade to 40 gallon, I plan on getting another RG, but that's at least a year from today if I'm still in the hobby. 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
7 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Cool, 

The tank I first saw the RG looking awesome in was a 50 gallon.  He was very much an open swimmer between the rockwork and corals.  I think my 10 gallon was too small for him especially moving into mature clown's back yard.

When I upgrade to 40 gallon, I plan on getting another RG, but that's at least a year from today if I'm still in the hobby. 

Looking at it go, my 10g was also too small. It doesn't really go between rocks except for its house. The "main cave" is flame angel territory.

Thinking about leaving the hobby?

3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Thinking about leaving the hobby?

Not today, but perhaps in the future.  I went into it to explore the hobby vs FW to give it a year.  January is the 12 month anniversary for me. 

A few personal reasons, and 10 gallon giving me frustration with nutrients / losing fish has been stressful.  I found a beat on a Talbot's damsel that is the last fish I'll try to add in the 10 gallon.  If it doesn't work I'll transition to 20 to see if that settles things down.

Love fish / aquarium - but I prefer to be more passive fish keeper than it running my life when things go sideways.  So far, SW definitely more interesting than FW but is a bit more stress when things go sideways and that could move me out of the hobby. Not there today, but the thought has entered and exited my mind a few times the past few months ( mainly b/c of DINO - and losing fish )

When I had a 2nd or 3rd fish in there, the Dino was reversing itself for healthy algae.  When the fish died, Dino came right back up and I'm at zero Phos - 2 Nitrates / 9 Alk

With dosing of Phyto my corals seem happy though. 

Kindanewtothis
19 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Not today, but perhaps in the future.  I went into it to explore the hobby vs FW to give it a year.  January is the 12 month anniversary for me. 

A few personal reasons, and 10 gallon giving me frustration with nutrients / losing fish has been stressful.  I found a beat on a Talbot's damsel that is the last fish I'll try to add in the 10 gallon.  If it doesn't work I'll transition to 20 to see if that settles things down.

Love fish / aquarium - but I prefer to be more passive fish keeper than it running my life when things go sideways.  So far, SW definitely more interesting than FW but is a bit more stress when things go sideways and that could move me out of the hobby. Not there today, but the thought has entered and exited my mind a few times the past few months ( mainly b/c of DINO - and losing fish )

When I had a 2nd or 3rd fish in there, the Dino was reversing itself for healthy algae.  When the fish died, Dino came right back up and I'm at zero Phos - 2 Nitrates / 9 Alk

With dosing of Phyto my corals seem happy though. 

Sad to read that.

If dinos are gonna drive you out of the hobby, why don't you try dino-x ?

3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Sad to read that.

If dinos are gonna drive you out of the hobby, why don't you try dino-x ?

We'll see.  I'm gonna try the Talbot damsel.  The tank Dino really was turning good when I had a 2nd fish in there adding small doses of ammonia to the water all day. 

• Like 2

@Kindanewtothis

Just wanted to share that I got my Talbot's damselfish today.  He's a cool little fish, and I think one of the reasons I was considering leaving hobby at times was lack of swimming activity after I kept losing fish. 

My clown had moved into a cave after the last few fish I tried introducing didn't work out.  He just sits there in the cave all day.  

With my new little guy swimming all around the tank non-stop going everywhere, I'm loving the hobby again !!!  Ate his first meal in the new tank for dinner, little bits of brine shrimp b/c hes' got a baby fish mouth.  He looks very healthy and not a sign of aggression between the clown and Talbot.  Not much interaction between them at all, just more activity in the tank is a good thing. 

Coral are interesting and I like them, but always a fish guy first. 

• Like 4
Kindanewtothis
22 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

@Kindanewtothis

Just wanted to share that I got my Talbot's damselfish today.  He's a cool little fish, and I think one of the reasons I was considering leaving hobby at times was lack of swimming activity after I kept losing fish. 

My clown had moved into a cave after the last few fish I tried introducing didn't work out.  He just sits there in the cave all day.  

With my new little guy swimming all around the tank non-stop going everywhere, I'm loving the hobby again !!!  Ate his first meal in the new tank for dinner, little bits of brine shrimp b/c hes' got a baby fish mouth.  He looks very healthy and not a sign of aggression between the clown and Talbot.  Not much interaction between them at all, just more activity in the tank is a good thing. 

I enjoy the springeri in the 10g for the same reason, it always swims around. Glad you are having fun.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

@Kindanewtothis

I think we all go into a run of bad luck occasionally. I lost 4 different new fish over the course of 2 weeks, visited my parents for a couple of weeks and came home to a tank with so much dino I couldn't see through the glass. After a month-long battle with dinos now the sand is clear the tank fully stocked with some very active and healthy fish. In the end, I'm glad I stuck through it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

@Kindanewtothis

Same here.  I like having corals in the tank but I love having fish more due to their personality.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

I think we all go into a run of bad luck occasionally. I lost 4 different new fish over the course of 2 weeks, visited my parents for a couple of weeks and came home to a tank with so much dino I couldn't see through the glass. After a month-long battle with dinos now the sand is clear the tank fully stocked with some very active and healthy fish. In the end, I'm glad I stuck through it.

I was away for 2 months due to a serious family illness and couldn’t look after my tank.  My son fed the fish while I was away but came home to loss of some corals and my flame angel (had her for 2+ years).  I was so very sad.  I’m working on replacing them and trying to get the tank back to it’s original shape.  You are right about sticking through it. 

• Sad 4
1 hour ago, TNSRFR said:

I was away for 2 months due to a serious family illness and couldn’t look after my tank.  My son fed the fish while I was away but came home to loss of some corals and my flame angel (had her for 2+ years).  I was so very sad.  I’m working on replacing them and trying to get the tank back to it’s original shape.  You are right about sticking through it. 

Sounds absolutely horrible.  I won't ask how it came out, but I wish your family well.  Fish are pretty much replaceable, while family is not.  Still a kick to the... when you came back.  I'm sure your son felt as bad as you about losing the angel.

12 minutes ago, seabass said:

Sounds absolutely horrible.  I won't ask how it came out, but I wish your family well.  Fish are pretty much replaceable, while family is not.  Still a kick to the... when you came back.  I'm sure your son felt as bad as you about losing the angel.

Yes, past few months has been a nightmare. As you said fish and corals are replaceable even it’s sad to loose them.  Thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)