SaltCritters.com

MotherofAnimals
1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I just have some problems with "black rim" to install my lights. Do you know if it can be removed?

I don’t think that can be removed. I believe it’s structural bracing for the tank. 

• Like 3

I agree, don't try to remove the rim.  It looks like your lights are in place; what kind of problem do you have with mounting them?

If you absolutely have to (and see if there is another solution before you do it), there is a lip on the rim which can support a top, and can probably be trimmed (where your lights mount) without much impact to the structural integrity.

I haven't really paid attention to how others have overcome this issue.  Maybe adding some material (like acrylic) just under the lip will provide the support that you need.

It is technically possible to remove the black rim, but not a very good idea, especially on larger tanks. You can trim off a section of the inner lip if you need to. 

As long as the light is in a good position, and whatever you've used to hold it that way won't rust, that's perfectly fine. 

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

I have my clamp with the plastic screw facing into the tank. 

Thanks I will try that.

Kindanewtothis

Any recommandation for fish that can go in a 50 gallons that could not go in my 30? Is it more a question of the number of fishs?

Not gonna add them right now but I'd like to start looking?

There is usually less aggression when there is more room.  So most combinations will work a little better, and some new combinations might become possible.  For example, your clownfish pair, a flame angel, and a Mimic Saddle Puffer might be possible in 50 gallon tank, as opposed to a 30 gallon.  Plus, the additional water volume will support a larger bio-load, and the added surface area will provide more room for your potentially massive anemone.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

I'm thinking about (in addition of my 2 clowns) a royal gramma and a flame angel.

I wish I could add a tang.... but the tang police won't agree 😉

filefish are cool and weird. scooter blennies are cooler and weirder. 🙂

lawnmower blenny if you plan to get a good amount of algae growth for it to eat.

• Thanks 1
fishez4alivin

I've had two Magnificas for awhile before selling them back in 2010, so I'm not 100% sure, but something about the pictures of the anemone looks off.  I don't mean off, like it's sick, but it doesn't remind me of a Magnifica.    What makes me think it might not be a Mag is something about the tentacles and the foot.   The smoothness of the foot is off, but it may be the picture. And the way the tentacles curl at the tips, I don't ever recall seeing them like that.   I'd hate for someone to have misled you by selling you something as a Magnifica, and you went out and really stepped up to upgrade your equipment.  But if you take a close up pic of the foot, it would be the tell tale.  I'll show you what I mean by the foot, texture. If it is a Mag, then I would not feed it too much.  Blast it with light, but lay off feeding it weekly.  They will go from 6" to 12" in 6 months.  They are awesome animals, and once you find a healthy one, they aren't as hard to keep as you might think.  Finding a healthy one is the hardest part of keeping one.

magday4029_zps27b61f14.jpg

ritteri021_zps24745e12.jpg

• Like 2
fishez4alivin

I think it's a Macrodactyla doreensis  search them and see if it is what you got. Only thing is that they typically like to bury their foot in the sand, but if there is a hole, it may like it there.  The tentacles really look like a LTA aka corkscrew anemone. Mistakes are made in this hobby, if someone sold you that anemone as a Mag, why would you think it was anything else?  It's a small part of the hobby that you have to be mindful of.  Anyway, the nem looks healthy and your clowns love it, win win

• Like 2
Just now, fishez4alivin said:

I think it's a Macrodactyla doreensis

Based on the latest picture, I was going to say the same: Long Tentacle Anemone.

Doesn't make it any less cool.

fishez4alivin

It's healthy and it hosts his clownfish so I actually think as a new reefer, that it's the better choice.  Mags grow pretty fast, so it would be the size of a dinner platter in a year.

Kindanewtothis

From the picture I see on the web I might be a long tentacle. I was sold to me as a magnificent sea. It's growing fast. Do lta grow fast also?

The clown love it and so do I so I really don't care except maybe for the price I paid (90$ CAD about 60$ USD).

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I really don't care except maybe for the price I paid (90$ CAD about 60$ USD).

These days, that's not a totally unreasonable price for that anemone.

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It's growing fast. Do lta grow fast also?

They certainly can.  Yours appears to be doing very well.  Good job.

Long tentacle anemones can still grow to 20" (50cm) across.

Kindanewtothis
On 5/15/2021 at 4:36 PM, Tired said:

9: monitor for ammonia spikes for the next week or so. 

Just tested it, still 0. I'm gonna test it every 2 days for a week or so.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
On 5/9/2021 at 10:41 AM, seabass said:

For flow, I figure 30 times turnover would be pretty good.  I didn't add up everything you have; however, for a 30 gallon tank, that would be about 900 gallons per hour (GPH), which is about 3400 liters per hour.

So for 50 gallons 1500 per hour

What do you think about this:

https://dyno.ca/en/shop/7176-xstream-8000-wave-pump-2120-gph-sicce-8011469962992.html?q=%2Fen%2Fboutique%2F7176-xstream-8000-pompe-de-brassage-2120-gph-sicce-8011469962992.html

• Like 2
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)