Pod Your Reef

You're probably thinking of polyclad flatworms, which are predatory, and also quite rare. These tiny lil guys who show up on glass eat algae, biofilm, and the like. Some species of tiny flatworm eat corals. These are mostly a pest due to potential to multiply a ton and irritate corals, or even block the light from them. 

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
6 hours ago, Tired said:

Wait, why would pods feed flatworms? I'm pretty sure those flatworms aren't predatory, at least not on anything that doesn't sit still. Do yours chase the pods around or something? 

But yeah, quick fixes and chemical solutions will lead most tanks into an endless spiral of bottled fixes for things. Just... let stuff chill. And don't add an anemone for awhile. Probably don't get a magnifica ever. 

Just so we are clear, the flatworms are in the 10g.

I won't get a magnifica, ever. I'm planning on adding another LTA and a nemguard for the nero 3 in a few weeks. This is for the 50g that is doing well.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
8 hours ago, rough eye said:

when i was a kid i remember this children's book, about the king who had mice, and got cats to get rid of the mice, and dogs to get rid of the cats, and on, and on.  each quick solution creates a new problem that then, in turn, needs to be solved

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Kindanewtothis

Crazy idea:

Close de 10g (transfer most of the live stock to the 50g)

Sell the light and pump.

Culture pods massively in the 10g (there is demand)

• Wow 1
8 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Crazy idea:

Close de 10g (transfer most of the live stock to the 50g)

Sell the light and pump.

Culture pods massively in the 10g (there is demand)

I'd say STOP right there and think about it for a couple weeks.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
28 minutes ago, PeterU said:

I'd say STOP right there and think about it for a couple weeks.

Can't do it before at least a month.

I'm adding an LTA on October 31st, yeah it's a precise date but that's when I'm buying it from @Melfy77.

Then I need to wait a few weeks before adding more livestock to the 50g so all this gives me time to think.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
9 minutes ago, rough eye said:

does 2 weeks qualify as "awhile"?

I guess not, but the last livestock I added was snails and it was on september 9th so on october 31st it will qualify as "awhile" I suppose.

Also, not the best argument I know: that's when I'm going to Montreal...

I want the clowns out of the frogspawns, it's starting to react to it (some heads open less) so I need an anemone.

In the end, and don't get me wrong I appreciate your comments and help, but it's my tanks.

Plus, culturing pods is easy, I'd like a bigger tank to harvest more and sell for a low price to provide for local reefers. I don't want to take less care of my 50g because I don't have enough time because I'm busy with the 10g.

I'm more busy at work so I have less time, more and more I think that putting all my efforts on the 50g would be best  Culturing pods and phyto isn't time consuming and kinda on auto-pilot.

I enjoy the YWG and pistol shrimp pair too much not to keep them. I would not keep the neon goby.

2 weeks after adding snails would be a fine time to add most livestock. Anemones should not go in new tanks, as a general rule, particularly not when the previous one was having some periodic issues. 

That said, as long as you're doing risky things with animals that have no brains, it's up to you. I'd have more complaints if it was a fish that would be in danger, but as far as anyone can tel, an anemone is about as conscious as a plant. 

More pods in the trade at a good price won't hurt anything. 

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
26 minutes ago, Tired said:

particularly not when the previous one was having some periodic issues. 

I think I wasn't feeding it enough...

Kindanewtothis
7 hours ago, Tired said:

That said, as long as you're doing risky things with animals that have no brains, it's up to you. I'd have more complaints if it was a fish that would be in danger, but as far as anyone can tel, an anemone is about as conscious as a plant. 

I don't feel like it's that risky, but maybe you are right. Still the anemone is going in. This time with an anemone guard for the nero 3.

99% of its food was mysis but I understand that on the long term that is not enough. I was so warned not to feed to much that I under fed it.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Definitly going in the pods business (just a few bottles here and there)

2 mores bottles harvested today, looks like I could harvest maybe 5 bottles a week. Too much for my own needs.

Would have paid over 40$ for these 2 bottles.

20211019_194750.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The guard on my sicce pump is broken. Wonder how it happened? Mexican turbo snail (they go on it) ?

20211022_185357.jpg

Doubtful the snail broke the plastic.

I've seen the common pyramid-shaped snails (their name escapes me, but I know it starts with A) swing their shell against a wall, evidently in response to some irritant. Mexican turbos might do that as well, but I don't think they're strong enough to break plastic. Queen conch probably could, though. 

Kindanewtothis

Some brown stuff on the back wall of the tank. I must admit I thought it might be dinos for a moment, sand got some brown/red on it. I've put a sample under the microscope from the back wall: diatoms.

The first single head of frogspawn I got has now 3 heads and is touching the colony next to it. 

First pic is when I got the frag

Second pic is now with the colony

20210709_155239.jpg

20211023_133314.jpg

• Like 5
Kindanewtothis

Springeri damsel for the 10g hoping it will help with the flatworms.

Also found some conch shells but since the pistol shrimp takes all the shells I wonder what are the chances the hermit get the shells...

Edit: the scarlet was alone in a corner, took a shell that would fit and placed right in front, the change was done in 2 minutes.

20211023_153209.jpg

20211023_153419.jpg

20211023_161943.jpg

• Like 5

Lucky you got the little guy to take that first shell right off, sometimes they're fussy. Then again, I guess if I had to carry a house around on my back, I'd be pretty fussy too. 

That top one in the picture with the two shells is actually a cone snail. I say this only to mention that, if you ever see a shell of that shape at a beach, you should NOT pick it up. Cone snails have a severely venomous sting, which ranges from painful to lethal depending on species. With most snails, it's fine to pick up a shell and check if it's occupied. With cones, you never touch it. It's also smart to be careful of shells more like the second one, as a couple of cone species kinda look like that. Though this particular shell was probably an olive snail. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Kindanewtothis
5 hours ago, Tired said:

Lucky you got the little guy to take that first shell right off, sometimes they're fussy. Then again, I guess if I had to carry a house around on my back, I'd be pretty fussy too. 

That top one in the picture with the two shells is actually a cone snail. I say this only to mention that, if you ever see a shell of that shape at a beach, you should NOT pick it up. Cone snails have a severely venomous sting, which ranges from painful to lethal depending on species. With most snails, it's fine to pick up a shell and check if it's occupied. With cones, you never touch it. It's also smart to be careful of shells more like the second one, as a couple of cone species kinda look like that. Though this particular shell was probably an olive snail. 

It worked well for the scarlet but I tried the same with the halloween (with the shells in the picture from the previous post) and it did not work. The halloween looked at the shell (the white one) but did not change shells. The shells I have offered where not big enough I think but I don't know where to find bigger ones.

• Like 1

It may just not have wanted to change its shell right then. Giving a hermit a shell and seeing it immediately accept the new one is actually pretty unusual. Leave the shells in just in case. 

• Like 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)