Top Shelf Aquatics

Halloween hermits require conch or cone snail shells. Make sure it has lots of empty shells of varying sizes, to reduce the chance of it trying to kill the conch for that shell. 

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Tired said:

Halloween hermits require conch or cone snail shells. Make sure it has lots of empty shells of varying sizes, to reduce the chance of it trying to kill the conch for that shell. 

Even if the conch shell seems 5 times too big?

The halloween's actual shell is a conch shell, but much smaller. The shell of my conch is 3 inches long, I don't think the hermit could move it but if I decide to do the switch I will add even more shells (there must be 20 empty shells in the tank but not of the right shape I think)

20210620_191836.jpg

Well, the Halloween hermit will eventually grow to that size. It'll probably leave the conch alone for now, but if it gets anywhere near that size and has no appropriate shells, it might kill the conch. They need the shell for protection, so they're always on the hunt for the best shell they can get find. 

They're such pretty hermit crabs. I gotta get some when I have a large enough tank. 

Kindanewtothis
50 minutes ago, Tired said:

Well, the Halloween hermit will eventually grow to that size. It'll probably leave the conch alone for now, but if it gets anywhere near that size and has no appropriate shells, it might kill the conch. They need the shell for protection, so they're always on the hunt for the best shell they can get find. 

They're such pretty hermit crabs. I gotta get some when I have a large enough tank. 

I would not want something to happen to "Billy Bob" the conch but halloweens get bigger than I thought. Too big to spend its life in a 10g?

Kindanewtothis

If I make the move of transfering the livestock from one tank to another I must find the right type of empty shells, I don't want to put my conch at risk. Between the conch and the halloween, I choose the conch. The halloween might end up back at the lfs.

Kindanewtothis
Just now, Tired said:

Aren't those the ones that are notoriously difficult to keep in even the most mature tanks? 

I have read different things when I thought I had one (but was an LTA). Some say the "expert" requirement is mostly due to lighting, but yeah, probably a very bad idea.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I have read different things when I thought I had one (but was an LTA). Some say the "expert" requirement is mostly due to lighting, but yeah, probably a very bad idea.

Yes, it's a bad idea to buy an animal if you don't have a minimum of insurance for its survival.

Just buy some corals to calm your impulse alert 😉

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
18 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

What happens to your Long Tentacle Anemone?

Ps: sorry 🙇‍♂️,I don't want to read 87 pages of your journal to find the information.

It was on the move and went in the nero 3...

• Sad 3

Remember that the LTA lost nearly half of its mass because its needs weren't being met.  And LTAs are a lot easier than a Heteractis magnifica.  Definitively don't get one.  Once everything in your tank is good, you can consider replacing the LTA with another one, or a BTA.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
11 minutes ago, seabass said:

Remember that the LTA lost nearly half of its mass because its needs weren't being met.  And LTAs are a lot easier than a Heteractis magnifica.  Definitively don't get one.  Once everything in your tank is good, you can consider replacing the LTA with another one, or a BTA.

I won't get one but wouldn't a BTA split all over the tank?

They can, and commonly do split.  But BTAs are the smallest host anemone at up to about a foot across (where LTAs can grow up to 20" across, and possibly wiping out up to about about half of your tank's corals).  Plus, if something that large were to die, it could possibly cause a tank crash.

It all depends if you want: clownfish, a host anemone for your clownfish,  or expensive/prized corals.  The three are not always all compatible.  Plus keep in mind that your angelfish is considered a coral nipper.  And just because it's currently a model citizen, doesn't mean that it will stay that way.

You built this tank around the anemone and angelfish, thinking that you'd keep some corals which might get lost to either or both of them.  If your priorities for this tank have changed to focus on coral, then you might wish to reevaluate your current livestock choices.

• Like 4
Kindanewtothis
5 hours ago, seabass said:

They can, and commonly do split.  But BTAs are the smallest host anemone at up to about a foot across (where LTAs can grow up to 20" across, and possibly wiping out up to about about half of your tank's corals).  Plus, if something that large were to die, it could possibly cause a tank crash.

It all depends if you want: clownfish, a host anemone for your clownfish,  or expensive/prized corals.  The three are not always all compatible.  Plus keep in mind that your angelfish is considered a coral nipper.  And just because it's currently a model citizen, doesn't mean that it will stay that way.

You built this tank around the anemone and angelfish, thinking that you'd keep some corals which might get lost to either or both of them.  If your priorities for this tank have changed to focus on coral, then you might wish to reevaluate your current livestock choices.

You are right again. I think I forget sometimes that the angelfish can decide to add corals to its diet.

I started all this fast, but always wanted a couple of clownfish hosting an anemone and I still do.

I cannot keep everything in a single tank.

Now I already have more and "better" corals than I was planning. I was at first thinking I would only be able to keep mushrooms but my corals are growing so I suppose I'm not doing such a terrible job. But that gave me the coral fever... I want more but like you said that might not be a good idea with the flame angel.

I could put some corals in the 10g but I need to decide if I'm keeping that tank.

I also have the phyto and pods cultures to take care of...

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
10 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I could put some corals in the 10g but I need to decide if I'm keeping that tank.

Also the walls are still full of flatworms. I don't see any on my zoa but would not add more corals until they are gone. With the second cloudy water event I did not do the second Flatworm exit treatment 

30 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

With the second cloudy water event I did not do the second Flatworm exit treatment 

Since you already went down that road, make sure that you don't let the second treatment go for too long.  Otherwise you'll just end up with Flatworm eXit resistant flatworms.

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Since you already went down that road, make sure that you don't let the second treatment go for too long.  Otherwise you'll just end up with Flatworm eXit resistant flatworms.

Ok thanks will do.

Kindanewtothis

Got too much phyto on hand. Some guy is coming from his village to buy 5 bottles!

Thanks again @seabass culturing phyto is easy.

Culturing pods is not really harder. I'm using the same bottles I use to buy them in. "Made" 3 bottles this week with similar pods population (maybe even more) and I think I could take 5 more without risking the culture.

Can't believe the prices they ask for pods and phyto!

20211015_190557.jpg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Got too much phyto on hand. Some guy is coming from his village to buy 5 bottles!

Thanks again @seabass culturing phyto is easy.

Culturing pods is not really harder. I'm using the same bottles I use to buy them in. "Made" 3 bottles this week with similar pods population (maybe even more) and I think I could take 5 more without risking the culture.

Can't believe the prices they ask for pods and phyto!

20211015_190557.jpg

Feel free to bring me some next time you come down here😁😂

Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Feel free to bring me some next time you come down here😁😂

Will do for sure, maybe in november 😀

• Like 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)