Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Before adding a anemone to any of the tanks, I need to research on it before (and not buy it on impulse like I did)

Impulse buys are the worst thing for hobby IMHO.

LFS  sells you what they have in inventory b/c it's what they have to do to stay in business.  Not what's necessarily best for your tank though. 

Best example for me is my local SW fish store employee tried to sell me a horseshoe crab for my 10 gallon.  Got home did a little research and learned those things can outgrow a 200 gallon aquarium and move rock structures around in the process.  Can be several feet wide in the ocean.

That thing would have starved in my tank within a week and died a quick death.  But hey it would have been cool to look at for a little bit.

:slap:

• Like 5
On 9/27/2021 at 12:23 PM, seabass said:

Sure.  Phyto is one of the main building blocks in the food chain.  Lack of it will restrict the other life which feeds on it, and the life that feeds on that, and so on (this includes fish, filter feeders, coral etc).  That's why people dose phyto.

I started dosing phyto a week ago.  Acans / GSP / and Candycanes all seem to like it.   

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Impulse buys are the worst thing for hobby IMHO.

Shush.

I impulse ordered an LPS online yesterday and it should be here in the next couple hours. 😂

• Haha 4
Kindanewtothis
19 minutes ago, PeterU said:

Shush.

I impulse ordered an LPS online yesterday and it should be here in the next couple hours. 😂

Don't forget drunken purchases!

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, PeterU said:

Shush.

It's here already and twice the size I was expecting 😍.  Going to shift things around to make room while it's acclimating. Here is the LFS pic.

IMG_9516-600x501.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PeterU said:

Shush.

Online gets a pass on impulse buys unless it's a flash sale!

11-Get-Out-of-Jail-Free-Card.jpg&f=1&nof

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, PeterU said:

It's here already and twice the size I was expecting 😍.  Going to shift things around to make room while it's acclimating. Here is the LFS pic.

IMG_9516-600x501.jpg

Looks like your coral is a hybrid breed with Mantis shrimp.  Nice!

47 minutes ago, PeterU said:

IMG_9516-600x501.jpg

Beautiful.

They get very big.

Kindanewtothis

Got flatworms exit but water is not completly cleared yet. Also got an air line tub to which I will add a small rigid line and syphon out most of the flatworms so they don't poison my water when they'll die.

Almost pulled the trigger on a blue tip green torch frag (80$). Decided to wait but the 50g is doing well. Thanks to Melfy77 rocks, I have coraline all over my rocks. No signs of dinos. Got rid of 90% of the cyano.

Kindanewtothis
On 9/27/2021 at 1:17 PM, seabass said:

, I expect this tank to be clear in 24 hours.

I did too... 

Almost 5 days now. The green was gone in less than 24h but the bacterial bloom takes longer.

I can finally see through the tank.

I wonder how long it would have take without a UV.

20211002_080902.jpg

• Like 1
On 9/30/2021 at 5:18 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

They both choose to host the frogspawns

My clown would love some frogspawn to host.  He's hosted a powerhead, a live rock, and tried to host a Royal Gramma and Bicolor Blenny.  

The 2 fish are no longer with me so it's back to hosting the powerhead.  So far he's left my corals alone but they are largely on the sand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Kindanewtothis

Water is almost clear, will remove the UV tomorrow I think. 

Ammonia is 0 

Great reduction of flatworms??? Could it be the UV?

20211003_110035.jpg

24 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Great reduction of flatworms??? Could it be the UV?

I don't think the UV is killing the flatworms.  It's more likely that it's the reduction of food/phyto.  It's possible that this species of flatworm won't become a problem (even if left unchecked).

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

I don't think the UV is killing the flatworms.  It's more likely that it's the reduction of food/phyto.  It's possible that this species of flatworm won't become a problem (even if left unchecked).

I don't see any on my zoa frag. 

Maybe I should wait before using flatworm exit? Or, considering that I'm gonna do a water change anyway to finish clearing the bloom, I use it to finish them? They say to remove most of them before use, that part is done, so?

Also I don't see any dinos in that tank either.

If you do use Flatworm eXit, do it at least twice (a couple of weeks apart).  Otherwise they might not be completely removed, and they might start to develop a resistance to the dewormer.

Kindanewtothis
3 hours ago, seabass said:

If you do use Flatworm eXit, do it at least twice (a couple of weeks apart).  Otherwise they might not be completely removed, and they might start to develop a resistance to the dewormer.

They say to use it one week after for the worms that hatched. So yes 2 treatments if I do it, but I need to observ more if they come back in numbers.

• Like 1

Question for those dosing Phyto?

Filter floss have any effect on it?   I've been on and off with filter floss recently and want to back to using it.  But Since I started dosing phyto, I'm  hesitant to use filter floss as Im concerned it would just filter the phyto out of the water column.

For those in the know - Any thoughts on the issue.

Thanks

Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Question for those dosing Phyto?

Filter floss have any effect on it?   I've been on and off with filter floss recently and want to back to using it.  But Since I started dosing phyto, I'm  hesitant to use filter floss as Im concerned it would just filter the phyto out of the water column.

For those in the know - Any thoughts on the issue.

Thanks

My culture goes righ through a brine shrimp net, will filter it with my 53 microns sieve. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I'd think that phyto might be too small to be removed by floss.

Since I lost my 2 new fish ( JUMPER + Hermit CRAB FOOD )- my Dino situation which was trending good with green algae starting to grow on walls, has reversed back to DINO yuk where I can see it flowing in the water column.  That's why I was wanting to add filter floss back in.

Kindanewtothis
7 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Since I lost my 2 new fish ( JUMPER + Hermit CRAB FOOD )- my Dino situation which was trending good with green algae starting to grow on walls, has reversed back to DINO yuk where I can see it flowing in the water column.  That's why I was wanting to add filter floss back in.

What type of dino do you have?

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)