Cultivated Reef

Just now, Kindanewtothis said:

The pods and worms? What life?

Sure.  Phyto is one of the main building blocks in the food chain.  Lack of it will restrict the other life which feeds on it, and the life that feeds on that, and so on (this includes fish, filter feeders, coral etc).  That's why people dose phyto.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'd probably run it in your 50 for awhile

Things are starting to look good in the 50g. I have what I think is diatoms and cyano but I think maintenance and the CUC can handle it. Id be affraid to kill what I have rebuild.

Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Sure.  Phyto is one of the main building blocks in the food chain.  Lack of it will restrict the other life which feeds on it, and the life that feeds on that, and so on (this includes fish, filter feeders, coral etc).  That's why people dose phyto.

Yeah but I'll restart dosing phyto

7 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Id be affraid to kill what I have rebuild.

:lol: I love the natural approach.  Although it seems quite contrary to dosing Dino-X. :unsure:

I'm a little confused by your approach, but I'm mostly just joking around with you.  There isn't one right way to do anything.  I applaud you for getting this far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I love the natural approach.  Although it seems quite contrary to dosing Dino-X.

The plan was always to use dino-x as a reset button. Since I used it, things are going better and I work on creating life back after wipping it out. 

Keep an eye on it. If it gets really close to any corals, move the corals. There's nothing to be gained from letting them duke it out. 

You got a heck of a deal on that big euphyllia colony. Looks nice. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Would my 2 clown and a bubble tip (or other anemone) be ok alone in the 10g?

That implies the YWG, neon goby and pistol shrimp move to the 50g.

I wouldn't.  I'd want a 20 gallon tank for the clowns.  Plus a thriving host anemone would likely outgrow a 10 gallon tank.

Your clownfish will be fine without an anemone if that's your concern.

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Your clownfish will be fine without an anemone if that's your concern.

My concern is my male clown who seems to consider hosting my frogspawn colony...

• Haha 1
Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

How are your parameters? 

UV kills bacteria/phyto bloom but doesn't remove their "body".

Haven't tested yet but still using Prime. Will do a major water change when the water will be cleared.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Received the plankton sieve.

Filtered the culture and changed all the water (remember the spirulina incident...) Many pods survived and maybe even reproduced but there is no bloom yet.

Added phyto and will add a tiny bit of spirulina powder.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

My concern is my male clown who seems to consider hosting my frogspawn colony...

I had to rehome nemo in a different tank because it was slowly killing my toadstool. I've never had a good outcome with corals hosting clownfish 😕

Kindanewtothis

It's sad, the clown slept where their anemone used to be.

I don't like the roaming part of anemone now that I have more corals but I might replace it.

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Make sure that your tank is trouble free before you add anything (besides cleanup crew) to it.

Yeah I need to think about all this. I looked for a used 20 gallons yesterday to replace the 10g. Still looking at my options but when I started all this (with the 30g) what I really wanted was a clown couple hosting an anemone.

The 50g is still in "recovery" but I'm must say I'm happy with it. Got some diatoms but the CUC is helping. There is less cyano and I'm getting better at removing it (and it doesn't seem to come back after). I'm not keeping it spotless and I let the CUC do most of the work. Not cleaning tank walls or not a lot.

Before adding a anemone to any of the tanks, I need to research on it before (and not buy it on impulse like I did)

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Yeah I need to think about all this. I looked for a used 20 gallons yesterday to replace the 10g.

😕

Still looking at my options but when I started all this (with the 30g) what I really wanted was a clown couple hosting an anemone.

You had this with your 50 gallon tank (which is a better option for a host anemone and clownfish pair).  Plus, the angelfish needs a tank that's about this size.

A 20 gallon tank is enough for a pair of clownfish, but a healthy host anemone would likely eventually dominate the tank.  Also, you'd have to get all new lighting for a new 20 gallon tank.

I'd suggest getting the 50 gallon tank in order first, then getting an anemone (BTA or another LTA) to host the clownfish; but consider a guard for the powerhead.  This is the reef tank that you were originally trying to create.

I don't like the roaming part of anemone now that I have more corals but I might replace it.

Anemones tend to wander when they are unhappy (with available light and food, protection for its foot, and the right amount of flow).  The loss of mass of your previous anemone, indicated that its needs weren't being met.  This is probably why it was wandering, and ultimately led to its demise .

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
21 minutes ago, seabass said:

😕

You had this with your 50 gallon tank (which is a better option for a host anemone and clownfish pair).  Plus, the angelfish needs a tank that's about this size.

A 20 gallon tank is enough for a pair of clownfish, but a healthy host anemone would likely eventually dominate the tank.  Also, you'd have to get all new lighting for a new 20 gallon tank.

I'd suggest getting the 50 gallon tank in order first, then getting an anemone (BTA or another LTA) to host the clownfish; but consider a guard for the powerhead.  This is the reef tank that you were originally trying to create.

Anemones tend to wander when they are unhappy (with available light and food, protection for its foot, and the right amount of flow).  The loss of mass of your previous anemone, indicated that its needs weren't being met.  This is probably why it was wandering, and ultimately led to its demise .

You are right

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
21 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

How are your parameters? 

UV kills bacteria/phyto bloom but doesn't remove their "body".

Is the white powder their "body" maybe?

Or did I find a brand new way to produce cocaine?

20210929_090903.jpg

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)