Coral Vue Hydros

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Is everything OK inside?

My gf saw everyone at feeding time today so I suppose so but it's hard to see in the tank.

Cool, a phyto bloom.

Enlight me

1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Enlight me

You have a phytoplankton culture growing in your tank.

The bloom will probably try to use up the nutrients and pods will likely up their reproduction with the abundant supply of food.  It should go away in time; but you could do a water change if you really wanted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UV would certainly take care of it in a couple of days.  IMO, this is very similar to the bacteria bloom, with oxygen depletion being the biggest concern.  Make sure you have good aeration (flow).

I'm not sure that I'd be very worried about it.  Although, it's probably depleting your nutrients.  Do you notice an increase in the pod population?

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
28 minutes ago, seabass said:

Do you notice an increase in the pod population?

I don't know if there are more, but the glass surely are full of em.

I wish I could collect some for the pods culture so I could eventualy seed the 50g. In the pods culture there are very few pods (the spirulina incident...). I did not received the plankton sieve yet but it arrived in Canada.

Edited by Kindanewtothis
Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Could you not seed your pod culture by removing a rock from your tank with the pod and putting it in your pod culture?
Wait for the night when the pod goes on the glass then replace the rock in the tank.

I suppose the rocks have pods on them too, can't see any. In the 10g, the walls are full day or night.

Also, could it not seed bad things too in the culture?

Edited by Kindanewtothis

This might be a bad idea (given the history of your 50); however, I'll throw it out there for you to consider.  I'm not sure that I would do it, but here goes:

Using two 5-gallon buckets, siphon three gallons or so from each tank into their own bucket.  Then, pour the contents of each bucket into the other tank.  You could repeat this multiple times, or do it daily.

Obviously this would cross contaminate the tanks (seeding pods and phyto into your 50, but potentially seeding dinos into your 10).  However, it sounds like the amount of dinos in the 50 is very much reduced, and that you have already seen evidence of some dinos in your 10, so the risk might be minimal.

Kindanewtothis

This might be a bad idea (given the history of your 50); however, I'll throw it out there for you to consider.  I'm not sure that I would do it, but here goes:

Using two 5-gallon buckets, siphon three gallons or so from each tank into their own bucket.  Then, pour the contents of each bucket into the other tank.  You could repeat this multiple times, or do it daily.

Obviously this would cross contaminate the tanks (seeding pods and phyto into your 50, but potentially seeding dinos into your 10).  However, it sounds like the amount of dinos in the 50 is very much reduced, and that you have already seen evidence of some dinos in your 10, so the risk might be minimal.

Nothing is going from the 50g to the 10g that's for sure.

I could take water from the 10g, remove water from the 50 and replace it with the water from the 10g?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I could take water from the 10g, remove water from the 50 and replace it with the water from the 10g?

Sure.  Obviously, that would require new saltwater for the 10 gallon, but it would also prevent contaminating the 10 gallon with anything from the 50.  So yeah, it should seed pods and provide phyto to the 50.  Don't know how much it might actually help with the phyto bloom in the 10 (but it might).  :unsure:

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Just ordered a Green killing machine UV sterilizer to help with the bloom. Went for the 24w even if it's for the 10g because I want it strong enough for the 50g if ever needed. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

💸💸

Hahaha actually it works really well. I used it for 3-4 days when I had a bacterial bloom in my former 12g. Cleared it right up and haven't had an issue since

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

Here's the state of things in the 50g. Corals are top shape and the anemone looks good but it's surrounded by cyano. It's where there is the most as it is kind of a dead spot regarding flow (under the nero 3) 

20210924_140020.jpg

20210924_140027.jpg

20210924_140147.jpg

20210924_140032.jpg

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

How is the size of the anemone?  It almost looks like it might be getting smaller.

It's been much worst, it's on the way up but yeah at first when I got it it was double the size but also had more room.

1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It's been much worst, it's on the way up but yeah at first when I got it it was double the size but also had more room.

Make sure you feed it a couple of times a week; although not too much, or too big of chunks.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)