Innovative Marine Aquariums

1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Just read about palytoxin, not sure I want zoas in my house anymore.

Normally, there is nothing to worry about.  Just be aware that mishandling them could potentially cause problems.  This includes damaging them (typically outside your tank) like crushing them, using a stiff bristle brush to remove them, boiling a rock which contains zoanthids, etc.  And don't leave them out for pets to get into them.

Actually, there are many varieties of zoanthids and palythoas (different species often contain vastly different amounts of palytoxin), and zoanthids are typically the safer of these two.  Problems are rare, but some safety precautions when handling them are probably prudent.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Like if someone was dosing MicroBacter7 ? Cause I am.

If overdosing, then yes.  But I suppose it's even possible if following the recommendations on the bottle.

Bacterial blooms themselves usually don't do much harm.  However, they can consume the oxygen in the water.  Make sure that this tank is especially well aerated during this bloom.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Zoas aren't the only thing with palytoxin. Dino's carry it too. Research has found it in other soft corals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

How?

A protein skimmer is usually enough.  Some people will use an airstone; however, good flow and some surface agitation are typically enough.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, seabass said:

A protein skimmer is usually enough.  Some people will use an airstone; however, good flow and some surface agitation are typically enough.

It is always a good idea to have a battery-powered pump. Useful for bacteria bloom or algae going sexual and essential in power outage situations if you do not have your reef tank on a batterie.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

It is always a good idea to have a battery-powered pump. Useful for bacteria bloom or algae going sexual and essential in power outage situations if you do not have your reef tank on a batterie.

They are really good to have on hand, so helpful.

I had two and lots of batteries🙂

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

They are really good to have on hand, so helpful.

I had two and lots of batteries🙂

I have two: one with batteries and one you charged via USB. Got mine through Amazon. Essential IMO. Tank can go a fairly long time without heat and light, but lack of flow will quickly kill livestock

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

I have two: one with batteries and one you charged via USB. Got mine through Amazon. Essential IMO. Tank can go a fairly long time without heat and light, but lack of flow will quickly kill livestock

We rarely have outtages here but better safe than sorry. 

Yrs ago when i had my 55g, i had no power for 4 hrs, i never saw battery back up pumps for sale those days so i had to constantly cause water movement manually.

I wasn't going through that again. Lol. 

Well worth the $50 i spent for it all and it came in handy when i did my tank transfers. 

• Haha 2
Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

We rarely have outtages here but better safe than sorry. 

Yrs ago when i had my 55g, i had no power for 4 hrs, i never saw battery back up pumps for sale those days so i had to constantly cause water movement manually.

I wasn't going through that again. Lol. 

Well worth the $50 i spent for it all and it came in handy when i did my tank transfers. 

We have terribles winters here, outtages can be an issue in snow storms. There must be some kind of booster pack or a big batterie we could use to make everything work.

30 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

We have terribles winters here, outtages can be an issue in snow storms. There must be some kind of booster pack or a big batterie we could use to make everything work.

Ya you folks in Quebec get a lot of ice storms too.

We get a lot of snow but for some reason, not as many power outtages.

4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Haha. I have a zoa dominant tank with about 10 or more varieties.. just glued my rocks back into place after a drama last week, touching zoa's all afternoon.

Other than being a slimy mess the hands are fine. 

I wouldn't get worried about them, of course be responsible and if your removing from the water, where eye protection when fragging as they have a tendency to spit (quite far as well).

Zoas are generally minimally toxic or not toxic at all, it's palythoas you have to be careful of. Still, it's best to wear gloves or handle corals with toxins, as some other soft corals can have palytoxin and anything can have a sharp edge hidden somewhere or some bacteria on it. 

Kindanewtothis

I moved a zoa colony a few weeks ago (ugliest zoas ever) they did not seemed to recover.

Other than that only my scarlet hermit and a trochus are missing but could be just under a rock

1 minute ago, seabass said:

Might be a coral

The zoa then

20210911_163102.jpg

1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I moved a zoa colony a few weeks ago

This happened recently and probably caused your bacterial bloom.  I couldn't say what it was, except that it had a decent amount of meat on it.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)