ReefCleaners.org

Kindanewtothis

I put the beta aquarium filter back in the culture to see if I could do something with it. If it doesn't work, all I need is a bottle of pods, I have all the rest to start over.

Kindanewtothis
8 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I filtered the culture with a brine shrimp net, split it in 2. Added a 250ml bottle of last week harvest and f/2.

I discarded the other half. 

20210909_101142.jpg

It all became so clear, I also added about an once of Phyto-Feast to restart the culture. If this time it doesn't work, I will restart with "regular green phyto" (Nannochloropsis)

Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

How come I don't see any bubbles on the top?  Did you shut it off just for the picture?

This picture is when I restarted it and the pump wasn't on probably idk.

This picture is from now (so with some Phyto-Feast added)

20210909_200302.jpg

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Have you cranked up the flow a bit from where it was a day ago?

Yes a little but I must sometimes play with it a bit now that the pods culture is on the same pump (with its own air valve)

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Regarding the pods, just saw 5 or 6 big ones swimming in that green water, idk they might make it.

How much spirulina should I have use for 1 gallon of water?

5 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

How much spirulina should I have use for 1 gallon of water?

I'm not really sure.  I'm using one Chemi-Clean spoonful, which is about 1/32 of a teaspoon, in my 40 gallon reef tank (that's about 1/1280 of a teaspoon per gallon).  Now this won't even tint the water, so you'll need to dose more if using it as a primary food source for your pod culture.

So the answer might be just enough to lightly tint the water. :unsure:  That won't be very much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

There is not much I can do but wait or start over. 

Without a plankton sieve, that's probably true.  You could try to skim the water surface by submerging a small section of a cup (open side up), so that the water flows into the cup.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

CUC is doing an amazing job. My tank wall were all green (once again not dinos brown so yeah!) and the trochus are going at it quite effectively. Conch is also vaccuming the sandbed.

More flow was clearly an answer to cyano.

Now I'm tempted to clean the tank walls but I'm thinking "eh at least it's now dinos" and it's clearly competition against it, so I might let the snails do it for me. Just wanted to be able to take pictures to show you guys.

I'm waiting for the lights to be fully on, but I'm starting to think I have beaten the dinos!

• Like 3

Sounds quite promising.  Yeah, I'd hesitate some more on cleaning it up for pics (we believe you).  The algae is a sign of healthy life.  I hope that's it for your dinos, but don't spike the ball quite just yet.

50 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

More flow was clearly an answer to cyano.

But why?  Flow doesn't actually kill cyano.  Instead, flow displaces (and suspends) cyano and the organics that it feeds on.  Then your canister filter and it's media can ultimately remove it.  I know that's being picky; however, I feel that an explanation might help people better understand the problem, and help them deal with it.

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

But why?  Flow doesn't actually kill cyano.  Instead, flow displaces (and suspends) cyano and the organics that it feeds on.  Then your canister filter and it's media can ultimately remove it.  I know that's being picky; however, I feel that an explanation might help people better understand the problem, and help them deal with it.

I know it doesn't kill cyano but like you said it detached all the cyano from the sand bed making it float in the water and now it's mostly gone (I suppose the canister is full, will clean today).

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
21 hours ago, seabass said:

You could try to skim the water surface by submerging a small section of a cup (open side up), so that the water flows into the cup.

Bubbles came back quickly. Was worth trying.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Water in the 10g is cloudy?

Never saw it like this. Cleaned the sponges in the hob filter. Maybe I should put carbon back in the hob, no carbon for a few weeks now.

20210911_092436.jpg

Carbon typically won't clear cloudiness.  Typically it's a bacterial bloom.  But it could just be a disruption in the sand bed (possibly due to your shrimp).

If it's substrate particulate, then mechanical filtration can help (like filter floss).  However, bacterial blooms are often too small to be removed by filter floss.

Make sure you check the ammonia level just in case there was a death (possibly like a turbo snail).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)