Pod Your Reef

3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I was told by the supplier to use a flashlight at night and that they would regroup in the light. 

Also, someone here posted a picture of his tank' walls full of pods (sorry could not find the post)

That picture was about 4 months after adding into a tank with no predators. My walls aren't the same now as fish are eating them and the glass is cleaner.

When I'm looking for things like pods, I use my phone camera on at least 4x zoom and hold at one spot on the rockwork for several seconds before moving somewhere else to look

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, PeterU said:

That picture was about 4 months after adding into a tank with no predators. My walls aren't the same now as fish are eating them and the glass is cleaner.

When I'm looking for things like pods, I use my phone camera on at least 4x zoom and hold at one spot on the rockwork for several seconds before moving somewhere else to look

Oh ok, in my mind it was after 2 months, and I did not think about the predators.

Kindanewtothis
On 7/7/2021 at 6:20 PM, PeterU said:

I ordered a small 6oz bottle of Tigger pods on May 12 from JLAquatics. Put them in my 20H the next day.

Here is a picture of my front glass today covered in them,

2021-07-07 16.16.33.jpg

You put them in on May 13th and posted it on July 7th, that's not 4 months like you said, it's not even 2 months.

1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

You put them in on May 13th and posted it on July 7th, that's not 4 months like you said, it's not even 2 months.

Okay, old age making me forgetful

• Haha 1
On 8/14/2021 at 2:33 PM, rough eye said:

when i went to the doctor once she recommended i go on Lipitor for my cholesterol. i asked how long i'd have to take it. answer: basically forever. i said no thanks, i'll lower it myself by changing my diet. mentioned it to an older friend who said "i'm on it. everybody is on Lipitor."

i don't like to be beholden to artificial fixes forever.

Yeah until your doctor says "you Triglycerides levels are 5.9 your a heart attack waiting to pop" and you go "I'll have the 40mg statins" true story 🤣🤣 needles to say I eat more veg and less steak 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Ok, don't get hangry anyone but for discussion take a look at thia post for 2015

It's good that you are doing some research.  I know that you really want to use Dino-X, and there's really nothing stopping you from trying it.  However, you won't convince me to use an algaecide again (as it's the main reason that I'm having my current problems).

That linked post is relatively incomplete, with broken video links.  But it sounds like they had some success.  I have seen a few post like this before (with apparent short term success) using other methods, and it's not uncommon to see that dinos eventually returned.  I suppose that's because the imbalance which favored dinos still existed.

IDK, maybe there's a good way to use a product like this followed by a major effort to seed biodiversity.  Without having many corals, coral losses would be limited.  Higher life forms, like fish, usually hold up better to these biocides (but I can't imagine it's really that good for them).

For me, I have made my case on what I feel you should do (and even mentioned Dino-X before you became interested in it).  But, in your research, were all the reviews positive, or did some people experience negative results?  Your desire for more immediate results makes me feel there's no talking you out of this; I'm just waiting for the post that you started dosing it.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

were all the reviews positive, or did some people experience negative results?

No, I saw reviews were people lost sps or where dinos came back rapidly. But I would say that most (like 90%) were positive but these review were mostly right after using it, so I don't know what happened a few weeks after.

5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Without having many corals, coral losses would be limited. 

I did not spent much on corals yet, maybe 150$, so that would not be so terrible. Still I would prefer no lost at all. It's the fish and anemone I don't want to lose.

7 minutes ago, seabass said:

For me, I have made my case on what I feel you should do (and even mentioned Dino-X before you became interested in it)

You really did and I feel that if I use it I would have to try to follow the recipe you gave me in hope that dinos don't come back.

12 minutes ago, seabass said:

Your desire for more immediate results makes me feel there's no talking you out of this; I'm just waiting for the post that you started dosing it.

When I see post about fighting dinos for 10 months and still no result it makes me want to use it. Also when you told me that it's been 4 months for you and that, except for tanks were you removed the sand, you are at the same stage as me, it's not encouraging. I'm not the advanced reefer that you are and I don't understand all that going on in my tank as you do or mostly do.

Some people gets results after 2 weeks of dosing silicate others 4 months and some give up... just started dosing it. 

I got a lot of cyano now and it seems that it is the only thing that doesn't get covered by dinos. The green algae get complitly covered.

I was told on July 22nd by @Tired (if I remember correctly ) that if in a month I wasn't seeing improvement, I'd want to switch strategy. Coming back from vacation on August 21st, I'm expecting a disaster when I'll be back. So yes, I think I will use it, but no, the decision is not 100% sure yet. Also, my goal is not for you, or anyone here, to tell me "go ahead use it, it's a good idea" but there is no doubt that people had succes using dino-x.

The decision will be taken when I'll be back. Be assured that your advices are more than appreciated and I hope that you guys will keep on giving your opinions should I choose to use it.

4 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Coming back from vacation on August 21st, I'm expecting a disaster when I'll be back.

I sure hope not.  Sometimes we even see progress from not constantly messing with things.

• Like 3

I didn't say to switch strategy in a month, I said to give it a month before you even think about switching strategy. A month is about the minimum amount of time it takes for systemic changes in a reef tank to have notable effects. I didn't mean that you should expect it to have worked within a month, just that you shouldn't expect to see much happen in under a month. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, seabass said:

I sure hope not.  Sometimes we even see progress from not constantly messing with things.

i thought constantly messing with things was the theme of this thread.

granted, dinos is a more serious problem than the GHA problem i've had (which i don't consider a problem really, just s part of the tank maturing). after 6 months of algae it's receding at an amazing rate. i pulled some, did water changes and - mostly waited.

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Coming back from vacation on August 21st, I'm expecting a disaster when I'll be back.

Leaving for vacation may be what your tanks need.

I sit here looking at my tank and think I should do this or change that, I feel I lost a coral because I didn't leave things alone.

• Like 4
Kindanewtothis
31 minutes ago, Tired said:

I didn't say to switch strategy in a month, I said to give it a month before you even think about switching strategy. A month is about the minimum amount of time it takes for systemic changes in a reef tank to have notable effects. I didn't mean that you should expect it to have worked within a month, just that you shouldn't expect to see much happen in under a month. 

I did not say that what you said was that it would a worked within a month, if I remember correctly you talk about improvement, so far I don't see improvement or not much. IDK, I just feel that things will be the same if I wait, lets say, another month or 2.

Kindanewtothis
On 7/22/2021 at 4:05 PM, Tired said:

Give it a month. If you have no reduction of dinos at all, then you'd want to start looking at other solutions. But until it's been a month from now, don't do anything differently.

Here's the post in question. It wasn't improvement, it was reduction. There may be reduction, like I said there is cyano now and it doesn't get covered. I suppose I should be glad my tank is full of cyano, I guess one doesn't say that often.

30 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I suppose I should be glad my tank is full of cyano,

It's an indication of another problem, but at least it's something that appears to be winning out over dinos.  Plus, cyano is much easier to deal with.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

It's an indication of another problem

High nitrate and phosphate from what I understand, but at least I volontary created the conditions for it. 

Will it go away when nitrate and phosphate are lower? (With clean up)

11 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

High nitrate and phosphate from what I understand, but at least I volontary created the conditions for it. 

Will it go away when nitrate and phosphate are lower? (With clean up)

While popular, I believe that's a flawed view of cyanobacteria.  I feel it has a lot less to do with nutrients than excess organics (detritus/wastes on the rocks and substrate and dissolved organics in the water).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
Kindanewtothis
50 minutes ago, seabass said:

While popular, I believe that's a flawed view of cyanobacteria.  I feel it has a lot less to do with nutrients than excess organics (detritus/wastes on the rocks and substrate and dissolved organics in the water).

I see that it can also be caused by not enough water movement.

Not at all.  Although water movement can help keep detritus in suspension (prevents dead spots where wastes collect) so that your mechanical filter can remove it.

• Like 1

When I had a cyano problem due to forgetting to replace the carbon cartridge in my RODI unit, one of the first spots the cyano showed up on was one of the highest-flow spots in my tank. Granted, it wasn't super strong flow. Really strong flow can straight-up dislodge cyano, but that would require blasting all the rocks with powerheads at once. 

Cyano likes surfaces without anything on them yet, and does best with a lot of organics. It's common in new tanks that aren't balanced yet, or older tanks that have been unbalanced by something. 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

My sister took pictures. Unfortunately, the lights were ramping down. The walls seems full but the sand ain't so bad (you can see that a turbo snail just cleaned all around the edge of the tank).

The 10g looks really good.

received_561947844845879.jpeg

20210819_065935.jpg

• Like 2
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)