Top Shelf Aquatics

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Any idea about their phyto? First time I have a choice to do (see pic).

I culture Nannochloropsis for my rotifers.  Supposedly, the cell walls are tougher than some other strains, and might not be the ideal species for feeding copepods.  Not sure about the other two without looking them up.

You know, thinking about your UV inquiry.  You can culture pods using spirulina powder.  I wonder if you could use UV and still feed your pods.  Although, UV would probably still kill beneficial pod larvae in the "water".

Kindanewtothis
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

in the "water"

😄

14 minutes ago, seabass said:

You know, thinking about your UV inquiry.  You can culture pods using spirulina powder.  I wonder if you could use UV and still feed your pods. 

Not sure I follow. You mean that if I culture them I could re-seed regulary?

What about my re-seeding now question? Would you do it in my place? I'm thinking re-seeding and keeping dosing phyto (like I said I prefer phyto feast and if you look at the ingredients the 3 types are there... but there is shipping to pay as I cannot get it locally).

20210805_081453.jpg

21 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Not sure I follow. You mean that if I culture them I could re-seed regulary?

That wasn't where I was going; however, if you want, you could certainly culture your own phyto, culture your own pods, or culture both.  You might think it's harder than it really is.  You could culture pods by feeding either phyto or spirulina powder.

What I was wondering about, was if you were running UV (and killing the phyto in your tank), could spirulina powder be used instead of phyto to help sustain your tank's pod population.

28 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

What about my re-seeding now question? Would you do it in my place? I'm thinking re-seeding and keeping dosing phyto (like I said I prefer phyto feast and if you look at the ingredients the 3 types are there... but there is shipping to pay as I cannot get it locally).

I would think that local pickup would be fresher, but whatever you prefer should be fine.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, seabass said:

That wasn't where I was going; however, if you want, you could certainly culture your own phyto, culture your own pods, or culture both.  You might think it's harder than it really is.  You could culture pods by feeding either phyto or spirulina powder.

What I was wondering about, was if you were running UV (and killing the phyto in your tank), could spirulina powder be used instead of phyto to help sustain your tank's pod population.

I would think that local pickup would be fresher, but whatever you prefer should be fine.

I wasn't clear, it's the phyto feast that I can't get locally. I can get "regular" phyto locally. I also can get pods locally directly from the supplier.

My question is: is there a plus value to introducing more pods now?

3 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

is there a plus value to introducing more pods now?

Sure, as long as there is food for them.  Adding daily shouldn't be a problem (except to your pocketbook).

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I see... Maybe not then... Sorry, just tired of all this, I want my tank "back".

I hear ya.  Dinos almost got me to tear down my tank.  Decided to stick with the hobby for a year and ride it out.  Time will tell how things go.  

I'm much less hands on than you with my DINO's though, so it's a bit less stress.  I just mainly am getting it on my tank walls.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Small quantities of carbon is good to use when you have dino. 

Have you by chance cleaned out the canister filter? Filters get full of dino's too.

You sure about that?  I had my worst Dino experience when using Carbon per your usggestoin.  I pulled carbon out and upped feeding, and I think the tank is slowly resolving itself ( crossing fingers hopefully ), I still have thickness of DINO on my glass, but I'm seeing more and more clear glass without DINO over time.. 

1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

You sure about that?  I had my worst Dino experience when using Carbon per your usggestoin.  I pulled carbon out and upped feeding, and I think the tank is slowly resolving itself ( crossing fingers hopefully ), I still have thickness of DINO on my glass, but I'm seeing more and more clear glass without DINO over time.. 

Dino's produce toxins. Its advised to use small quantities of carbon and changed regularly. As well as rinsing off the media bag.

Its a common recommendation. 

People advise dosing peroxide for dino's and yet scientific sites and other hobbyists will tell you, their dino exploded after doing so. I am one of them.

Sometimes things happen coincidentally as well.

By the fact you still have DINO after removing carbon- carbon wasn't the cause. 

Likely a tank devoid of nutrients and biodiversity often caused in newer tanks started with dry rock(no life at all), new sand(no life at all), over cleaning, under feeding, and using media like that reduces phos/nitrates like chemipure, phosguard, purigen.

1 - 2 tablespoons of carbon will reduce toxin but won't irradicate everything in your tank.

Studies proved using small amounts of carbon regularly have less of a negative effect on a tank than using it randomly and more so with large bags full of carbon.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Likely a tank devoid of nutrients and biodiversity often caused in newer tanks started with dry rock(no life at all), new sand(no life at all), over cleaning, under feeding, and using media like that reduces phos/nitrates like chemipure, phosguard, purigen.

Probably the culprit.

But I like my aquariums to be like experimental ecosystem.  If I had started with Live Rock with no problems I would have still wondered in the back of my head what the difference would have been and wanted to do a Dry Rock start anyway.  I'm getting all my headaches on the cheap as opposed to a 40 or 50 + gallon headache.

As much as I'd like a larger tank for variety of reasons, the stresses have been kept small with the smaller footprint.  Even if tank size is leading to a bit more instability as a cause. 

Kindanewtothis
10 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Probably the culprit.

But I like my aquariums to be like experimental ecosystem.  If I had started with Live Rock with no problems I would have still wondered in the back of my head what the difference would have been and wanted to do a Dry Rock start anyway.  I'm getting all my headaches on the cheap as opposed to a 40 or 50 + gallon headache.

As much as I'd like a larger tank for variety of reasons, the stresses have been kept small with the smaller footprint.  Even if tank size is leading to a bit more instability as a cause. 

Thank god I'm not a student living on minimum wage... spent at least 2k on that tank in 5 months.

16 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Thank god I'm not a student living on minimum wage... spent at least 2k on that tank in 5 months.

Definitely not a cheap hobby and more expensive here in CDA...what isn't though. Lol

• Haha 1
Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Definitely not a cheap hobby and more expensive here in CDA...what isn't though. Lol

Even more in Quebec!

42 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

@Clown79 just realized that I'm gonna pass right by Aquarium Depot in Mississauga... price of vacation just went up! Too bad my tank is not in shape...

Candy coral is also in Mississauga...just saying😅

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Candy coral is also in Mississauga...just saying😅

Is it also right next to the 401?

Nevermind I checked, it's also close to the 401! 😉

• Like 1

I was wondering, where are you located? I'm in Montreal, 15 minute walk from Raging Reef...terrible for my wallet😅 But the staff is amazing and they have amazing stuff

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

I was wondering, where are you located? I'm in Montreal, 15 minute walk from Raging Reef...terrible for my wallet😅 But the staff is amazing and they have amazing stuff

Quebec city.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
On 8/4/2021 at 9:46 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

I might have overdosed a little the NeoPhost or it's also the mix with high dosage of phyto, but phosphate is now 0.21.

I know it's a little high even for my dinos situation, but since phosphate seems to be highly consumed, it should be lower tomorrow.

So it did not went down, I did not dose NeoPhost of course, and it's now 0.24. 

3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

@Clown79 just realized that I'm gonna pass right by Aquarium Depot in Mississauga... price of vacation just went up! Too bad my tank is not in shape...

They don't have a lot of coral there but good for dry goods. 

Good places, Fragbox and Candy Corals.

if You want unique corals, Candy Corals is the place. Absolutely stunning pieces.

Both are well run by experienced people. 

12 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Can diatoms trap air too? 

20210805_192204.jpg

20210805_192158.jpg

Air bubbles are in the tank from various things like equipment and bubbles do get trapped by most algaes.

Cyano bubbles itself and so does dino.

Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Air bubbles are in the tank from various things like equipment and bubbles do get trapped by most algaes.

Cyano bubbles itself and so does dino.

Ok it's the first time I notice it in the 10g since I saw dinos (beginning of june) in that tank.

Water change might be overdue also

Kindanewtothis
23 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

They don't have a lot of coral there but good for dry goods. 

Good places, Fragbox and Candy Corals.

if You want unique corals, Candy Corals is the place. Absolutely stunning pieces.

Both are well run by experienced people. 

The problem is that it's not really a good time (dinos) to add new corals... but I might since I won't be in Toronto for a while after (800km from home). Worked there a little years ago (Bay street).

I must say that I would like a hammer, since what I bought as a hammer was in fact a frogspawn.

That one is nice and cheap:

"Purple Tip Branching Hammer | New Dawn Aquaculture" https://ndaquaculture.ca/collections/livestock/products/purple-tip-branching-hammer

Edit: that's not Candy corals, I made a mistake.

I cannot get phyto feast locally, and compare to it, I feel I'm dosing green water. So I want to get some depending on how long I can conserve it once at home. I'll have a cooler for transport.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)