Coral Vue Hydros

Kindanewtothis

My anemone is now completly buried in the sand. It so small that at first I thought it moved.

It was really closed on itself in the last few days.

All I can see now is the foot from under.

It's possible the stress of being in a new, unstable tank is catching up to the anemone. Unfortunately, once they start to decline, it's hard to get them back. 

As to the phosphate, yeah, that's fine. It'll go back down, like you said. 

Kindanewtothis
21 minutes ago, Tired said:

It's possible the stress of being in a new, unstable tank is catching up to the anemone. Unfortunately, once they start to decline, it's hard to get them back. 

As to the phosphate, yeah, that's fine. It'll go back down, like you said. 

It got out of the sand but is still small.

It's behind the rocks, surronded by dinos.

20210804_131721.jpg

You really can't look at these snapshots in time as a way to determine health.  It might be back to normal by the end of the day.  That said, continue to monitor how it's doing.  I assume that you are feeding it once or twice a week.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
26 minutes ago, seabass said:

You really can't look at these snapshots in time as a way to determine health.  It might be back to normal by the end of the day.  That said, continue to monitor how it's doing.  I assume that you are feeding it once or twice a week.

I am feeding it mysis twice a week, but could not feed it in the last few days cause it was closed.

Kindanewtothis

Did some dinos removal. 

Casted away the water (about a cup) from tank walls as it was so full of dinos, too much for filtration.

Syphoned the sand bed and filtered the water.

Here are some pictures with only the whites on.

20210804_140256.jpg

20210804_140232.jpg

20210804_140228.jpg

• Like 2

While not alarming, I'm surprised to see no fish out and about.

I hope that your tank will be alright while you are gone.  I see it either going well (with signs of improvement), or the dinos taking over even more real estate.  I hope it's the former.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

While not alarming, I'm surprised to see no fish out and about

I think they were just scared by the sudent lighting change. They are alright. In all this, the fishs seem healthy.

Pic from 1 minute before the light change.

20210804_140155.jpg

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
7 minutes ago, seabass said:

hope that your tank will be alright while you are gone.  I see it either going well (with signs of improvement), or the dinos taking over even more real estate.  I hope it's the former.

I hope too, but I feel like the rock and walls will be full. I think there are much dinos in the water and at the surface. Maybe a UV wouldn't be so bad. Thinking about getting the one we discussed and let it run a few weeks to see the results. How bad would it be for the phyto?

1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

How bad would it be for the phyto?

I would imagine that it would eradicate it pretty quickly.  That's basically what they were made to do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

I would imagine that it would eradicate it pretty quickly.  That's basically what they were made to do.

I see... Maybe not then... Sorry, just tired of all this, I want my tank "back".

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

So if I understand correctly, running a tank with a UV is possible but not really when you have pods. I suppose it creates a more "sterile" environment? I mean, who runs a uv then? When you got too much algae and then you stop using it?

UV filters are often used by people who don't have a reef tank, just a fish tank, since that doesn't need to be nearly as biodiverse. It can be good for cutting down on fish parasites. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

So if I understand correctly, running a tank with a UV is possible but not really when you have pods. I suppose it creates a more "sterile" environment? I mean, who runs a uv then? When you got too much algae and then you stop using it?

one would hope at this point the only filtration you're running is filter floss, and possibly a protein skimmer just to add massive aeration.

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

So if I understand correctly, running a tank with a UV is possible but not really when you have pods.

Not entirely true.  Besides phytoplankton, copepods can eat detritus, decaying organic matter, or even each other.  It'd be more true to say that phyto doesn't really stand a chance against an UV sterilizer.  So a portion (probably the most nutritious part) of your pods diet will be highly limited.

I don't feel that UV will kill every pod in a reef tank.  However, it will affect plankton and larvae in the water column.

Kindanewtothis
17 minutes ago, rough eye said:

one would hope at this point the only filtration you're running is filter floss, and possibly a protein skimmer just to add massive aeration.

I run a canister filter and a powerhead with a filter attached. Yes I a skimmer.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
11 minutes ago, Tired said:

"Water column" refers to the water in your tank. Stuff that's in the water column is stuff that's floating in the water. 

Thanks, wasn't sure. I call it, and it might surprise you, the "water" 😉

There are dinos in the water column then and at the surface. I'm sure a UV would be useful but it would also mess with the current strategy. And it seems to be giving some result (algaes on many rocks and cyano), but, those algae gets covered by the dinos. The cyano seems quicker to take parts of the tank.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I run a canister filter and a powerhead with a filter attached. Yes I a skimmer.

just curious, for the sake of argument. what's in the canister?

Kindanewtothis
49 minutes ago, rough eye said:

just curious, for the sake of argument. what's in the canister?

Mostly sponges, biomedia and carbon.

5290153_alt4.jpg

Small quantities of carbon is good to use when you have dino. 

Have you by chance cleaned out the canister filter? Filters get full of dino's too.

Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Small quantities of carbon is good to use when you have dino. 

Have you by chance cleaned out the canister filter? Filters get full of dino's too.

I did not clean the filter this time. I did a big clean up (sand and walls) and cleaned the filter of the power head (see pics). The canister is on tomorrow's program. My carbon is about a week old.

Edit: I clean the filter of the powerhead 3 times a week.

3028-Tete-motrice-AquaClear-modele-50.jpg

ac-quickfilter-1.jpg

Kindanewtothis

Would you guys add more pods? I can't say that the dinos are reducing but the more competition the better?

Just found out that Canada aquamarine is in my home town... no delievery charge, I can go pick it up. They are the one with the pods in bottles that you have to put directly in the tank (the bottle

Itself). It's a mix of pods including tisbe.

Any idea about their phyto? First time I have a choice to do (see pic).

I must say that I prefer phyto feast than the last phyto I got. 

Screenshot_20210805-065226_Google.jpg

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)