Innovative Marine Aquariums

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

If it diatoms in the 10g, how do I fight it?

Don't fight your tank.  Diatoms are natural.  But they will eventually disappear as the available silicate runs out (which they will use up on their own).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, seabass said:

Don't fight your tank.  Diatoms are natural.  But they will eventually disappear as the available silicate runs out (which they will use up on their own).

Exactly. Diatoms are part of the "ugly stage", which is what you get when your tank is still relatively new and nothing has gotten balanced yet. You're going to see lots of algae for awhile, most likely. Don't worry about any of it. If any long tufts of hair algae show up, pull them out by hand, snails can't eat the long stuff. Other than that, leave it alone. Algae's good, anyway- it's competition for dinos. 

• Like 6
Kindanewtothis

Just to be sure the pods I saw are in the 50g so it seems that they are at least still present in the tank and apperently in good numbers.

• Like 2

the algae in my NEW tank (being less than a year old it's still pretty new) was nearly impossible to pull. a little finger pinch of algae would lift a 3 pound rock - and forget about a toothbrush. now, phosphates are getting used up and the stuff is weak and comes off easily in clumps. water changes combined with the algae using up nutrients have changed the water chemistry slowly, at what i hope is a natural pace.

• Wow 1

@Kindanewtothis, as a reference, check out this tank journal:

4 hours ago, billygoat said:

You can see splotches of film algae left over from the previous day. Soon the whole tank will be green.

IMG_2013.thumb.JPG.1b57f37538dcf5d4443cb1e3c93ef380.JPG

This is a new tank, and a good "dirty".  I'd guess there is very little chance of dinos in this tank.

• Like 1

I can't really tell. We might need a higher magnification.  I'm working on posting my pics and video.  I'll post them soon.

You'll probably want something with a fine focus adjustment (that one doesn't have one).  This is essentially what I'm using (Amscope M150C):

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=m150c+microscope&_sacat=0

18 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I need a better microscope

Only if you find it interesting.  It won't really help you get rid of dinos; but I find it kind of neat.

Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Only if you find it interesting.  It won't really help you get rid of dinos; but I find it kind of neat.

I do find it interesting and I would like to identify the type of dinos I have.

I don't like the price of the one you are suggesting 😜

About this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006ATLC5M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_ABS17KD76PMYN3K026H1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry if I ask a lot of question but I don't know anything about microscope. I have a business degree I'm far from science 😉

On 7/27/2021 at 6:30 PM, seabass said:

Yeah, I took pics and video.  I just need to find time to post them.

Here is one of my tanks with surface scum that's somewhat similar to yours:

072921a.jpg

072921b.jpg

And 1000x magnification of a sample of that scum.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Do you also filter the water you take out?

I haven't been.  Not that I think that filtering this water and returning it is a bad idea.  I'm really not removing much water, so I'm not adding that much new saltwater.  :unsure:

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I haven't been.  Not that I think that filtering this water and returning it is a bad idea.  I'm really not removing much water, so I'm not adding that much new saltwater.  :unsure:

Like I said, I feel I'm returning dinos to the tank but apparently also pods. Both must stay in the filter socks, I mean I must loose pods when syphoning. Small quantities are easier to filter and I let the dinos regroup under the lights this way it's easier to filter.

Nitrate is now 10.2, it was 20.5 a few days ago.

Phosphate is now 0.12. 

• Like 1

Dinos are no joke.  Like I said from the onset, they can drive dedicated reefers out of the hobby.  Those bottled treatments have mixed results at best.  You often hear how this reefer cured dinos, or about how this product was the solution.  But if there was an easy fix, there wouldn't be as much discussion about them.

I don't like referencing other sites, but if you ever wanted to read more about dinos and what people have tried, read through this 542 page thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Dinos are no joke.  Like I said from the onset, they can drive dedicated reefers out of the hobby.  Those bottled treatments have mixed results at best.  You often hear how this reefer cured dinos, or about how this product was the solution.  But if there was an easy fix, there wouldn't be as much discussion about them.

I don't like referencing other sites, but if you ever wanted to read more about dinos and what people have tried, read through this 542 page thread.

would you say this is a fair argument for why live rock, not bleached or scrubbed or having the stuff killed off it, is always a preferable way to go?

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, rough eye said:

would you say this is a fair argument for why live rock, not bleached or scrubbed or having the stuff killed off it, is always a preferable way to go?

Remember that I started with 15 yo rocks, but they were out of the water for 30-45 minutes if I remember correctly. I also started with water from the sink...

Kindanewtothis
25 minutes ago, seabass said:

don't like referencing other sites, but if you ever wanted to read more about dinos and what people have tried, read through this 542 page thread.

Yeah I know this forum too I will read this particular post. In many many others post they recommand higher nitrate and phosphate plus phyto, but also a good UV.

Like I said I'm waiting to come back from vacation to see if I must change my strategy. It will be:

1- as it is right now, so still waiting;

2- or UV sterilizer

3- or Dino-x

4- or 2 and 3 together 

• Like 1

I read somewhere that Dino-X is just an algaecide (pretty much like I believe Vibrant to be).  It might work (or maybe not), but it could also just set things back a few steps.  If anything, I'd try UV; but I wouldn't expect miracles.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

For the sake of discussion, If I was to use dino-x, after putting back carbon (they say to remove it for the treatment) and changing water, and asuming the pods are all dead (I've also been told they would survive), what would be my next move to create the conditions for the dinos not to come back? Reintroducing pods and keep on dosing phyto?

Also, those dinos must consume something in the tank, if they disappear what happens then?

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)