Cultivated Reef

Not at all.  IMO, I feel that removal of large groupings of dinos can be beneficial (via micron filters, wiping, siphoning, etc).  However, water changes have been reported to make dinos worse.  Then there is the question about how removal might affect pod populations.  I suppose that if not overdone, the pod populations should be able to recover.  You want to support the pods and other competition (with inorganic nutrients, phyto, etc).

• Like 2

That said, you don't want to make your tank spotless either.  You want to encourage algae growth and constant cleaning won't help with that.

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
On 7/24/2021 at 1:49 PM, seabass said:

I am getting the same film on the water surface as you are.  I'll have to take a sample to examine under my microscope

Any chance to take a look?

31 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Yeah, I took pics and video.  I just need to find time to post them.

• Like 1

You can expect to see a reduction in dinos after every night, then they'll worsen during the day. To be sure things are actually improving, wait until the light's been on for a few hours. 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
On 7/23/2021 at 8:36 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

Phosphate is back to 0.51 in the 10g

It's now 0.29. 

Salinity was 1.028?? Been toping off daily. Did a small water change (less than 2 liters) and it's now 1.025-1.026.

i never top off without checking salinity with a refractometer first, which i do daily. 

but then, i never check phosphate and haven't tested other levels in a while now.

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, rough eye said:

i never top off without checking salinity with a refractometer first, which i do daily. 

I have an hydrometer, I should test before topping off.

23 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Yup

It could be the hydrometer. Plastic ones aren't the most accurate. If they aren't rinsed, 1 air bubble in them, or not read on a level area the results won't be accurate.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
27 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

It could be the hydrometer. Plastic ones aren't the most accurate. If they aren't rinsed, 1 air bubble in them, or not read on a level area the results won't be accurate.

I know but I don't think so. Tested more than once and again after the water change (no salt added).

You should probably pick up a refractometer at some point. They're pretty cheap, and much more accurate than the swing-arm hydrometers. 

• Like 3
On 7/25/2021 at 1:52 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

Really and it goes all around the tank now.

My LFS had an open swimmer I wanted to pick up.  But swapping 10 to 20L soon and didn't want to stress him out with 2 S-T moves.  Hopefully the guy is still around when I get set up for another go at a RG. 

I really should have my move done by now 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I think film on water is pretty normal with Reef tank.  I got it in my planted tanks too.  

IT's usually handled by a surface skimmer,  In my 10 gallon my powerhead breaks surface and skim on the other side I just occasionally chase around with a cup to remove when I feel the need.  

49 minutes ago, Tired said:

You should probably pick up a refractometer at some point. They're pretty cheap, and much more accurate than the swing-arm hydrometers. 

Best 15 bucks I spent. 

Started with a Hydrometr and it drove me nuts.  I tossed it while cycling tank. Maybe I had a bad one but I couldn't get a consistent reading.  Refractometer is simple. 

• Like 2

I can remember the last time I used my refractometer; it was over four years ago (when I was treating a tank using hyposalinity).  I'd say the refractometer is a bit more accurate; but for me, nothing is easier than using my trusty old swing arm hydrometer.

Note, I have checked my hydrometer against my refractometer, and it's close enough for me.  It's always good to check whatever you are using against something else (even if that means bringing a sample to the local fish store to check for you).

• Like 3

regardless, i turn off pump every day to feed and i can't guarantee the relationships between levels in the back chambers and display area will be the same when turning the pump back on, so i don't go by how high the water is. some days i need add nothing, other days a few ounces. i go by the salinity. depends on the humidity of the air in the house, and room temp.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
7 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

My LFS had an open swimmer I wanted to pick up.  But swapping 10 to 20L soon and didn't want to stress him out with 2 S-T moves.  Hopefully the guy is still around when I get set up for another go at a RG. 

I really should have my move done by now 

Mine looked like like an open swimmer at the lfs, but I think this is only because it did not have a rock to hide into. 

Mine is now part of the gang, sometimes the flame chase it a little but it doesn't go back to its rock

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
On 7/23/2021 at 8:36 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

Nitrate are 2.1

In the 10g, it's now 7.9. I only dosed nitrate once but I fed a bit more. Still going from 2.1 to 7.9 in a bit more than 5 days?

Yeah, that happens if you dose without much to use it up. Still a reasonable enough level, but you might want to not dose and just feed, since it's already at a decent level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

If it diatoms in the 10g, how do I fight it? Just regular maintenance? Including syphoning the sandbed to remove it? More snails? My turbo seems to be doing a good job, I only got one since it's so big. Also have two astrea snails.

Also, my new zoa is slowly opening.

20210729_094355.jpg

20210729_094343.jpg

20210729_094309.jpg

20210729_094254.jpg

Kindanewtothis

Dirty water full of dinos, but I would say also algaes from the tank walls.

Then the same water going back in the tank. It's still full of dinos. Seems counter productive. When I remove a small quantity of water that is so full of dinos, is it really worst to add new water to replace the dinos infested water because filtration removes dinos, a lot, but when there is so much I'm still returning quite a lot of dinos to the tank.

20210729_103114.jpg

20210729_103017.jpg

Kindanewtothis

Filtered the water once more and looked at what was left in the cup with my microscope... Pods! At least I think so. 

But also a small white worm??

• Like 2
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)