ReefCleaners.org

Kindanewtothis
23 hours ago, seabass said:

Based on the label: 50 * 0.01 * 3.785 = 1.9

Therefore, 1.9ml of NeoPhos will raise phosphate by 0.01 ppm in your 50 gallon tank.  So (1.9ml * 4), which is 7.6ml, will raise your tank's phosphate level from 0.11 to 0.15ppm.

So phosphate is now 0.10 so I don't know what to do with this result. Test again tomorrow and see if I dose again?

It shouldn't take long to detect the added phosphate.  So if it has been over an hour since you last dosed phosphate, I'd dose another:

1.9ml * 5 = 9.5ml

to get phosphate back up to 0.15 ppm.

Kindanewtothis
Just now, seabass said:

It shouldn't take long to detect the added phosphate.  So if it has been over an hour since you last dosed phosphate, I'd dose another:

1.9ml * 5 = 9.5ml

to get phosphate back up to 0.15 ppm.

I only dosed once yesterday when we talked about it. Will re-dose now.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Did a glass clean up with a sponge, let the water in a plastic cup under the light as I often do to make the dinos regroup so they are easier to remove or filter but I noticed that at the bottom of the cup was what looks more like algae than dinos. When dinos regroup under de light it comes near the surface or at least it stays in suspension and they did regroup and stayed in suspension but at the bottom I really think I have algae that separated from the dinos. Usually there is nothing left at the bottom once it regroups. 

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

9 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Also what about this

Garbage for the desperate, IMO.

IDK, maybe it works for some people, in some tanks, for some strains of dinos.  I believe it's a little like Vibrant in that it can kill off beneficial microfauna (contrary to what you are currently trying to do).  Although it's been awhile since I've looked closely at it (but this is my recollection).

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

Impulsive purchase alert!

Went to get 1 mexican turbo snail for the 10g, came back with zoas for the 10g.

Also, the mushroom I've been calling "ricordea" is in fact a rhodactis. That one you won't approve, I got 1 orange rhodactis frag to go with the one I already have but just never openned in the 50g

20210721_112238.jpg

20210721_112228.jpg

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Been doing nothing but removing dinos (which I believe are not gaining terrain) wanted something new to look at. 

if you've got some algae growing that's good news! you've finally got at least one cycled tank! don't kill it! snails need that stuff to live on.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
22 hours ago, seabass said:

Garbage for the desperate, IMO.

IDK, maybe it works for some people, in some tanks, for some strains of dinos.  I believe it's a little like Vibrant in that it can kill off beneficial microfauna (contrary to what you are currently trying to do).  Although it's been awhile since I've looked closely at it (but this is my recollection).

Kinda desperate here 😉

Some guy told me it worked for him with a 48 hours blackout... not too sure about all this. Maybe I'll go the UV/Dino-x way but like in many weeks if the current strategy doesn't work but I'm starting to have "green" on the tank walls and not just dino brown. Phosphate is "stable" at 0.18.

My mushroom that became two mushrooms is now on its way to become 3 mushrooms.

Also in the 10g I think I lost an hermit crab, the shell is empty, or it molted and change shell?

20210720_204459.jpg

20210722_083941.jpg

8 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Some guy told me it worked for him with a 48 hours blackout.

That's great.  Do your research on it.

On 7/17/2021 at 9:07 AM, seabass said:

Again, wish I could give you the magic recipe.  I feel it takes a lot of work and patience.  I also believe that finding a quick fix for dinos just isn't realistic.

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis

Really considering a UV sterelizer, that seems to be (with higher nitrate and phosphate) a pretty commun recommandation.

It would affect the phyto and consequently the pods...

In this video they also use Vibrant.

"5 Minute Saltwater Aquarium Guide Episode #27 - Dinoflagellates - Bulk Reef Supply" https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/5-minute-saltwater-aquarium-guide-ep27-dinos

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

In this video they also use Vibrant.

Vibrant might very well kill dinos; I don't know for sure.  I firmly believe it's a biocide that indiscriminately kills anything provided the dose is high enough.  Now granted, some things are more tolerant than others; so your fish might not die, but a lot of your micro-fauna probably will.  IMO, Vibrant is what threw off the balance of my tank and gave dinos the upper hand.

7 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Kinda desperate here

There's a whole section of the industry targeting desperate reef keepers. $$$

It's hard, because a bunch of people are saying that they have the answer, while I'm saying that I don't.  Personally, I feel that we should be patiently working towards a mature and balanced system.  However, many of these "solutions" primarily involve killing stuff.

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I give it 2 days...

Haha, the epitome of patience. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

Vibrant might very well kill dinos.  I firmly believe it's a biocide that indiscriminately kills anything provided the dose is high enough.  Now granted, some things are more tolerant than others, so your fish might not die, but all of your micro-fauna probably will.  IMO, Vibrant is what threw off the balance of my tank and gave dinos the upper hand.

There's a whole section of the industry targeting desperate reef keepers. $$$

It's hard, because a bunch of people are saying that they have the answer, while I'm saying that I don't.  Personally, I feel that we should be patiently working towards a mature and balanced system.  However, many of these "solutions" primarily involve killing stuff.

I totally agree with seabass and let your tank mature without chasing after solutions.  This hobby requires lots of patience.  I know it’s not easy but you maybe inviting more problems by going back and force.  Just my opinion.

• Like 4

You need to leave everything alone. Let all the good stuff you've already added grow and mature. Stop fiddling with it, you'll make it worse.

You don't need to blast the dinos away immediately. Your success in this hobby does not hinge on getting rid of them fast. The tank needs to mature anyway, so stop doing things to it, and let it mature. The dinos should go on their own as it does, now that you've added all that good stuff, if you keep up some removal of them. 

Give it a month. If you have no reduction of dinos at all, then you'd want to start looking at other solutions. But until it's been a month from now, don't do anything differently.

Poisoning the dinos away, even if it gets rid of them, just opens your tank up for other pests. It also means the dinos can come back, since the conditions that caused them aren't gone. 

• Like 5
Kindanewtothis
21 minutes ago, seabass said:

I know I'm terrible, it's been weeks and I can't say that I'm winning...I just "control" the problem but it just comes back.

I was not gonna use vibrant or dino-x, but I have also a lot of dinos in suspension and I was thinking the UV would help with those. I was just pointing out that they use vibrant, that was missleading on my intention. No vibrant, but about the UV still think it's bad?

22 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

but about the UV still think it's bad?

My opinion probably won't change the more times you ask about it. :smilie:

UV isn't necessarily bad in general.  And it's quite effective on bacterial and phyto blooms.  And while it probably won't directly kill off your pods, it might diminish their food supply.

Some dino strains head into the water column at night, while others hide out in the substrate.  If you have the free swimming variety, then UV will probably make a dent in your dino population.  If not, you will have spent good money on a piece of equipment that effectively kills the phyto that you had to pay for.

The method we have advised you to take will hopefully tip the balance in favor of beneficial life and a healthier (and more trouble free) tank in general.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I know I'm terrible, it's been weeks and I can't say that I'm winning...I just "control" the problem but it just comes back.

I was not gonna use vibrant or dino-x, but I have also a lot of dinos in suspension and I was thinking the UV would help with those. I was just pointing out that they use vibrant, that was missleading on my intention. No vibrant, but about the UV still think it's bad?

As others have already said, dino's requires patience and timeto deal with.

They are always present, they are part of the ecosystem, what makes them flourish, is an imbalance in the system, too sterile, not mature enough.

Most success stories come from doing things naturally not adding products which often kill beneficial life which leads to more problems and dino's flourishing again.

Most don't over clean their tanks, if anything most don't touch the tank during dino.

I used the removal of dino method to control them while i did research on dino's and waited for my pods and phyto.

Mostly i removed them from corals because my tank was full of corals being covered. 

Once i added pods and phyto dosed, i made a pod condo, i didn't clean, scrape the glass,  blast or suck up dino. All i did was change carbon weekly and floss every 2 days. 

I let the tank get ugly.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

Ok will try to be patient, will let the tank get dirty. Hope I did not harm the pod population by cleaning.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Cleaned up... I give it 2 days..

I meant 2 days before it's all dirty again.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)