Jump to content

Kinda's "Magnificent" 50 and what not to do...


Kindanewtothis

Recommended Posts

Kindanewtothis

Here's a stupid question: if I vaccum the sand bed will I vaccum out the pods at the same time? Should I wait for them to establish ?

 

Newb who doesn't want to wait question: How long until I actually see pods?

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Here's a stupid question: if I vaccum the sand bed will I vaccum out the pods at the same time? Should I wait for them to establish ?

 

Newb who doesn't want to wait question: How long until I actually see pods?

Tisbe are tiny, they will look for places to dwell and reproduce like rock, sand, macro algae.

 

I wouldn't vacuum right now. The purpose of the pods is for them to reproduce and outcompete the dino. 

 

Did you get phyto to dose the tank?

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Newb who doesn't want to wait question: How long until I actually see pods?

Being so tiny, it might be too early until they grow and breed. You could try a magnifying glass or camera on like 10X zoom but they will still be hard to pick out.

Link to comment

Personally, I'd stay away from peroxide.  It'll kill your pods and other fauna (basically just the opposite of what you are currently trying to do).  I feel that it could leave your tank even more vulnerable to future dinos.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

What about peroxide?

 

"Have I Finally Beaten Dinoflagellates – First Time Marine Keeper" https://firsttimemarinekeeper.com/2019/05/24/have-i-finally-beaten-dinoflagellates/

I'd stay away from that route. Its actually a known method to increase the problem. I've read more people it didn't work for than which it did.

 

 

I tried it myself thinking it was another algae rather than dino, the results were not good.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Kindanewtothis

"If the Dino’s are in your sand bed get Conch Snails, Rounded Turbo Snails & Nassarius Snails to keep turning your sandbed over."

 

I have 5 turbo snails and that's it. The dinos don't seem to be toxic to them as they have been eating it for weeks now.

 

I suppose it wouldn't hurt that add some? 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The dinos don't seem to be toxic to them as they have been eating it for weeks now.

I wonder if there's not a little cyano mixed in with the dinos. :unsure:

Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
8 hours ago, seabass said:

I wonder if there's not a little cyano mixed in with the dinos. :unsure:

At this point I guess it's possible. The Flame nips the sand bed and the rocks too.

Link to comment

I'd consider cyano a good thing at this point (same with diatoms).  Again, we are looking for competition with the dinos.  It's alright if your cleanup crew and angelfish eat some of the competition.  It's all part of establishing a balance.

Link to comment

I've heard up to 1 snail per gallon.  However, there is huge difference between a Mexican turbo snail and a dwarf cerith snail, so this guidline means very little without specifying which types of snails we are talking about.

 

Most people evaluate how many snails they need by observing their tanks (adding snails of various kinds depending on need).  When you have excess algae, we add herbivorous snails.  We can use small snails to get into small areas, and larger snails to cover more territory and to deal with macroalgae (hair algae).  Other snails will help aerate your sand bed (like nassarius and cerith snails).  Nassarius snails won't eat algae; instead, they feed on left over fish and coral food as well as dead organisms in your tank.  While cerith snails are omnivores which will consume algae as well as left over food.

Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
18 minutes ago, seabass said:

I've heard up to 1 snail per gallon.  However, there is huge difference between a Mexican turbo snail and a dwarf cerith snail, so this guidline means very little without specifying which types of snails we are talking about.

 

Most people evaluate how many snails they need by observing their tanks (adding snails of various kinds depending on need).  When you have excess algae, we add herbivorous snails.  We can use small snails to get into small areas, and larger snails to cover more territory and to deal with macroalgae (hair algae).  Other snails will help aerate your sand bed (like nassarius and cerith snails).  Nassarius snails won't eat algae; instead, they feed on left over fish and coral food as well as dead organisms in your tank.  While cerith snails are omnivores which will consume algae as well as left over food.

I understand that I don't need 50 turbo snails... but I'm at 5... I'll get more and nassarius too.

 

What about hermit crabs do they help? I have 8 (blue legs and red legs) in the 50g.

 

Thanks again for your answers.

Link to comment

I like a couple of hermit crabs.  Some people don't, as they are fairly opportunistic, with the potential to kill snails for their shells.

 

Turbo snails are great cleaners, although some people report them knocking over coral frags.  You don't want too many, as you don't want then to starve.  Also, certain dinos are toxic to snails, so I might hesitate to purchase a lot of snails while you still have dinos.  However, if you notice issues where snails can help out, then add some (just go slow).

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I understand that I don't need 50 turbo snails... but I'm at 5... I'll get more and nassarius too.

 

What about hermit crabs do they help? I have 8 (blue legs and red legs) in the 50g.

 

Thanks again for your answers.

turbos won't eat dinos. astraea snails might. turbos eat algae. do you have a lot of algae?

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, rough eye said:

turbos won't eat dinos. astraea snails might.

I know that my astraea snails keep flipping over and eventually die (with dinos in my tank).  I assume that's from the toxicity of the dinos.  Maybe that means that they eat them; I'm not really sure.

 

What I do know is that you can't control dinos by adding more snails.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

I know that my astraea snails keep flipping over and eventually die (with dinos in my tank).  I assume that's from the toxicity of the dinos.  Maybe that means that they eat them; I'm not really sure.

 

What I do know is that you can't control dinos by adding more snails.

I had quite a few snails die during dino's. Hermits were fine but i had to replace snails once the dino's were gone. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I had quite a few snails die during dino's. Hermits were fine but i had to replace snails once the dino's were gone. 

 

 

What type of snails were they?

Link to comment
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, rough eye said:

do you have a lot of algae?

Not really, maybe I should stay with 5 turbos, they clean the glass, the rock and even the sand bed but not a lot. Maybe they eat the little algae I have.

Link to comment
Kindanewtothis

They received nassarius, turbo, mexican turbo and astrea this week at my lfs. I'll think about it until tomorrow.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...